• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird terrified of flight harness

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
My green cheek is around 4 years old and has never worn a harness. She has had her wings clipped one, but other than that has been a full flighted bird all her life.
The wife got me a aviator flight harness for her for Christmas. I haven’t tried to put her in it. But have tried to introduce her to it. She’s freaked out by it.
Any tips on how to get her used to it, before we work on getting it on her?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Baby steps. Start with just having the harness out where she can see it.

Then change it slightly... have her go and touch it with her beak.

Once she's comfortable with that, move on to the next step. Get her to put her head through a loop of the suit. Just keep gently working on these baby steps.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
My green cheek is around 4 years old and has never worn a harness. She has had her wings clipped one, but other than that has been a full flighted bird all her life.
The wife got me a aviator flight harness for her for Christmas. I haven’t tried to put her in it. But have tried to introduce her to it. She’s freaked out by it.
Any tips on how to get her used to it, before we work on getting it on her?
I agree with Sadie on this. Patience and baby steps.
It's a new thing to your bird. Leave it out where they can see it, and touch it.
What you might want to do in the birds presence is you touch and handle the harness, put it up you your face and give the expression that it's fun and safe.
Bird are led by example from their flock master. Think of monkey see monkey do. If it doesn't hurt the flock master, it must be ok and safe. Follow me??
For example, my birds won't try any new food unless I try it first. Follow where I'm going with this. Lead by example.

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
Baby steps. Start with just having the harness out where she can see it.

Then change it slightly... have her go and touch it with her beak.

Once she's comfortable with that, move on to the next step. Get her to put her head through a loop of the suit. Just keep gently working on these baby steps.
Thank you, I’ve been having it hanging on my shoulder, or wrapped on my hand when handling her.
I just didn’t want to rush into it, but I will be glad when I can take her outside.
I think it will take a while, but definitely be worth it.

Rex1718

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jack Winkle
I agree with Sadie on this. Patience and baby steps.
It's a new thing to your bird. Leave it out where they can see it, and touch it.
What you might want to do in the birds presence is you touch and handle the harness, put it up you your face and give the expression that it's fun and safe.
Bird are led by example from their flock master. Think of monkey see monkey do. If it doesn't hurt the flock master, it must be ok and safe. Follow me??
For example, my birds won't try any new food unless I try it first. Follow where I'm going with this. Lead by example.
lol my bird is also scared of balloons, she has some strange quirks. Thanks for the reply. Slow and steady it is

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
No two beings are alike, so just pay attention to her body language and prepare to go slower or keep working on a specific step repeatedly until she feels comfortable. :)

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I teach my fids this command to get them adjusted to the harness going over their heads. I do this until they’re very comfortable pressing their heads through the circle and have found it really helps once I start putting the harness over their heads. Also it’s extremely cute :lol:

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I teach my fids this command to get them adjusted to the harness going over their heads. I do this until they’re very comfortable pressing their heads through the circle and have found it really helps once I start putting the harness over their heads. Also it’s extremely cute :lol:
:omg::faint:How ADORABLE can you get. :loveshower: I'm in love.

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
kudos to you if you can do it Ive never been able to train any of mine to accept it. mine just have screen rooms to go out in summer sun stinkers. listen to the pros on here