• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird stretching legs and squeaking

wizerdspel

Sitting on the front steps
Recently, my blue fronted amazon parrot has been stretching/jerking his legs and squeaking. You can also hear the joints in his legs popping. It is spring where I live (northern hemisphere), and if I remember correctly, he did this last spring as well (he lived with my grandma before she moved in with us so I don't know much about his behavior before then), so I wonder if it's some sort of mating dance.

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I think it's hormonal behavior. My OWA is stretching his legs and clucking like a chicken. He's jerking his wings also. He does this every year from February end to June. We remain a bit cautious around him during this period.

wizerdspel

Sitting on the front steps
Yes, I think it's hormonal behavior. My OWA is stretching his legs and clucking like a chicken. He's jerking his wings also. He does this every year from February end to June. We remain a bit cautious around him during this period.
Yeah. He has been a bit more aggressive lately. I would go to pet him and he would lunge at my finger . Is there anything I can do to calm him down a bit, or will I just have to wait it out?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am a novice zon-mom. There are more experienced persons here. They can guide you. I just try to increase the sleep hours. @Clueless , @Greylady1966

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secret stretches her (actually Secret is a DNA male) legs and holds her wings out wide while she stretches.

I had no idea it was a hormonal thing though.

@melissasparrots is this hormonal?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I would need to see a video of it to know if it's hormonal vs. just stretching or something else.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is Inca. Today morning I tried to capture his move, he stopped seeing the phone :lol: . But I think you can see his fanning tail and stretching.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does look like there might be a hormonal component to the behavior. Sometimes they just do that sort of thing when they are happy, but hormonal behavior can look similar. I've seen even young birds act like that though.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does look like there might be a hormonal component to the behavior. Sometimes they just do that sort of thing when they are happy, but hormonal behavior can look similar. I've seen even young birds act like that though.
He does this daily at a fixed time from February to June. Inca is very disciplined :lol: