• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-Sitter?

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
(Feel free to relocate this thread if needed, admins.)

Depending on if my roommate visits her family for Thanksgiving or not, I may need to hire a pet-sitter for a few days. I'm going to fly down to California for the holiday and it doesn't make sense to bring Poppy and the boys for such a short time.

I don't trust the bird store in my area that does boarding to take good care of them just based on the way they treat the birds they have for sale. Ideally, I'd like to have someone come stay at our house to watch them for those few days.

We also might ask our vet if they do boarding. I would trust the vet with their care, and depending on the rates that may be a good option. Still, the relocation combined with our being gone would be very stressful, especially for Poppy, and it's a last resort.

So I wanted to bring it up here and ask if anyone knows of anyone who does bird-sitting in the Willamette Valley area of Oregon. Or if anyone has advice on what to look for in a good caretaker for them.

So yeah, if you have any advice or leads, feel free to respond. Thanks. :)

edit: It would also be possible for us to drop them off with someone in temporary cages. Overall, I'd prefer them be with someone in a home rather than at a clinic or store.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would personally ask the vet if any of the staff from there would be willing to do it for an agreed fee if the vet doesn’t have boarding type services. Or maybe the vet can recommend a service they know of.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know how big your area is but I found my first pet sitter on Care.com. She was wonderful (but moved away). I got a free trial for the site and actually had probably 16 or so people apply. Three of whom seemed really good. And this way they're "professional" sitters. I also found a pet sitter by calling a local dog sitting place and asking them if they knew anyone that watched birds. They did.