• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bird shirts .... or no chew?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tykaysdad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
paul
after having Tykay fix almost every shirt i owned we were told by the people at the pet department were we go that we should not let her chew ... lol ... well we made a lot of progress getting her to stop... after she got sick she started to chew again ... again we started with getting her to stop chewing ..... lol here we go again ... after her first two eggs we are chewing again and working on stopping .... lol... we say Tykay no chew be a good girl... a squawk or two and done for now .... how do we get her to just not chew ??? she has toys shred toys treats and we change them as much as she will put up with it .... or do we just need "TYKAY SHIRTS"?.....

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I have 7 shirts (one for each day of the week) that I wear that are my "bird shirts", and they show more than they cover, these days. I just let them pick and destroy as they please.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Yep...I have "sh*t shirts" and jumpers, and jeans...put clean jeans on tonight to collect my beloved....she asked about the bird poo on my bum....I'd sat in a birdy poo unbeknown to me....Plus that my relationshi with my bird is more precious than some scanky clothes!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
It's best to teach them not to chew on your shirts because birds can't really determine between an "okay" shirt to chew and a "bad" shirt to chew... and if she hangs out on other people, they may not enjoy her chewing on their clothes.

That said, I don't think you should teach her *NOT* to chew, simply teach her *NOT* to chew on shirts... instead, give her something else to chew on. There's a lot of great options out there! If my Charlie is being unusually pesky, or just more annoying than usual, then a bottle cap usually does the trick for him! I get in trouble though once he gets bored of that, since it's the only thing I've found so far that he'll entertain himself with for short periods of time!
bird toy necklace - Google Search
parrot foot toys - Google Search=

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
I think it's matter of personal preference, really. Me? I teach them not to, if only because I can't be bothered changing 5x a day. I come home for lunch to play, I let them out when I get home but then put them away to play with ferrets. have them out until I go to the store or a movie, etc. So it would be too much work for me.

The best way is through distraction. When they start to chew, give them a favorite toy. If they chew your shirt anyway, give them a very brief time out. Let them back and give them the new toy again. Then again, I tend to avoid much shoulder time so it's not a big issue for me.

Jadesmom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mary Ann
Teach a one year old conure not to chew? Good luck! :rofl: After having air holes in some work clothes, I have perforated tee shirts that I wear. And I have to take my bra off too, or Bella will crack the plastic slides through the shirt and ruin them. Life with birds!!!! :headsmack:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Skittles loves to chew my shirts,I have about 10 that are just for him to chew,I wear those when I get home from work and he is hanging out with me.

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I have to run and change when I wear a shirt with buttons or dangly "bits" since I don't know what's toxic. Rika usually doesn't tear holes but she will try to crawl into any thing I wear to find a nice dark (and I guess warm ) spot to cuddle, chortle, burrow, squeak and make whislting down a pipe sounds. I now have to put on a bra (although she can unsnap most styles) since I yelped the last time she bit me "you know where"... OUCH

Status
Not open for further replies.