• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird shakes head in light

Does your bird shake their head in light?

• My non red-eyed birds do this

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My red-eyed birds do this

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
So I have started to notice that my lovie Chica, whenever she is perched on my finger and I walk through the sunlight that goes through my blinds she shakes her head similar to how cats and dogs shake their heads when you blow in their ear. She also does this when I turn my light on.

She also has red eyes like most albino animals and many red eyed (albino) animals are sensitive to light so is that the reason for this behaviour?

If anybody has birds that do this please let me know, or if you know the reason for this behaviour as I'm quite confused and can't find much info on this.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Many years ago, we had tiels that would sit on the lamp shade and stare intently at the light bulb....goodness knows why.

Cassie, a LSC, would bob and tilt her head at the lights from time to time...none of the birds were albino...I don't know if any of this helps you, though...:)

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
I have a lutino lovebird, and she also will shy away from direct sunlight, but she doesn't shake her head, she just moves back into the shadow.

I've often wondered too if her red eyes make her more sensitive to the light.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Suggest you have the birds vision checked.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
1. She's an animal. Animals can naturally fear a difference in contrast between light and dark areas (going from a well lit room into a dark room for instance)

2. She's albino

Sounds "normal". I can't say I've noticed this with my birds but different animals may react to the same situation differently.