• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird seed garden

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Hey guys! I wanted to share my new found pass time of bird seed gardens!!! Over quarantine I got super bored, didn’t we all?, so I tried planting bird seed. I planted white, red, and spray millet; cannery grass seed; safflower seeds; sunflower seeds; and buckwheat. To my surprise it grew!!! Unfortunately a rabbit came and ate my sunflower seeds but the rest of the seeds did fine. With spring finally here I thought I would share this with you all so you could try it! Millet is super easy! Start planting in May or if you live in a really warm climate maybe early April. Prep you soil like you would in any garden. Plant 1/4 of an inch deep about 2-3 in. apart. Be careful not to overcrowd the seeds. Keep the soil damp. It sort of looks like grass when it comes up. A few weeks after your millet has sprouted you will see little green seeds. The millet will go quite large. Millet takes about two months to grow. I’ve heard that people pick it when wild birds start to eat it. Cut the millet, but leave a good amount of stalk.(don’t forget to leave some millet for your outdoor bird friends:) Tie the stalks of millet together and hang the bundles inside until it turns its normal brownish color. It’s such an interesting process. I would definitely start picking a spot and getting seeds ready now. I personally organize my seeds and plant them in rows. However, you can literally just through them in dirt water them and they will grow. If you guys want to know how to grow any of the other seeds please let me know!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sunflowers are really simple and pretty to grow, if you get some flowering please do share pics! :)

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
OOh I want to do that! It sounds so fun! But I'll bet the wild birdies would eat a laarrrgee chunk out of it where I live! :D

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Hey guys! I wanted to share my new found pass time of bird seed gardens!!! Over quarantine I got super bored, didn’t we all?, so I tried planting bird seed. I planted white, red, and spray millet; cannery grass seed; safflower seeds; sunflower seeds; and buckwheat. To my surprise it grew!!! Unfortunately a rabbit came and ate my sunflower seeds but the rest of the seeds did fine. With spring finally here I thought I would share this with you all so you could try it! Millet is super easy! Start planting in May or if you live in a really warm climate maybe early April. Prep you soil like you would in any garden. Plant 1/4 of an inch deep about 2-3 in. apart. Be careful not to overcrowd the seeds. Keep the soil damp. It sort of looks like grass when it comes up. A few weeks after your millet has sprouted you will see little green seeds. The millet will go quite large. Millet takes about two months to grow. I’ve heard that people pick it when wild birds start to eat it. Cut the millet, but leave a good amount of stalk.(don’t forget to leave some millet for your outdoor bird friends:) Tie the stalks of millet together and hang the bundles inside until it turns its normal brownish color. It’s such an interesting process. I would definitely start picking a spot and getting seeds ready now. I personally organize my seeds and plant them in rows. However, you can literally just through them in dirt water them and they will grow. If you guys want to know how to grow any of the other seeds please let me know!
Your post inspired me and I just finished sowing seeds for my green cheek conure garden. Quinoa, amaranth, corn, pumpkin, squash, nasturtiums and echinacea. Let’s see if anything grows lol! Thanks for the great idea.

Pippa!

Walking the driveway
Your post inspired me and I just finished sowing seeds for my green cheek conure garden. Quinoa, amaranth, corn, pumpkin, squash, nasturtiums and echinacea. Let’s see if anything grows lol! Thanks for the great idea.
Yay!!! Good luck!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Yay!!! Good luck!
I’ve got things growing! Amaranth, corn, sunflowers and squash so far! A garden for my conure . Thanks again for the great idea! 46FC277F-0E9B-4F97-9B46-056F968D9BBA.jpeg