• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safety Check Up For Your Home

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please ponder this list as you look around your home.
written by
Mitch Rezman, CMO Windy City Parrott

For the many of you who don’t know, Catherine (my wife & partner) and I, spend almost 24/7 together. We always have something to say to one another, We talk about business a lot.
We brain storm, plan, solve problems – you get it.
I’m not sure how this conversation got started, I remember we were in the car and I’m pretty sure Catherine said something like, “we spend so much time talking about how to care for our birds, the right bird food, proper size bird cage the right bird cage accessories and bird toys.
But we never talk about the other side.
The sadly ironic side of having a pet bird.
The single biggest reason our birds die is – we kill them.
Rather than expanding on each and every hazard, I’m going to list all that we came up with.
Let us know about your experiences so we can help other pet bird owners avoid potential catastrophes .

• Lands on edge of drinking glass, reaches down for liquid and falls in head first & drowns
  • Flies or falls into a mop bucket
  • Flies or falls into a toilet
  • Flies into a mirror or window
  • Water bottle malfunctions while you’re out-of-town for 3 days – bird suffers dehydration
  • Electrocution by chewing through electrical wire
  • Flies into open oven
  • Flies into boiling water pot
  • Fumes emitted from Teflon cookware heated over 535 degrees (Birds are 90% lungs – people)
  • Using Teflon coated heat lamps to keep babies warm has killed chicks even at zoos
  • Bird gets stuck on single toy hung in middle of cage – gets tired and can’t reach cage walls to leave toy – falls off toy from exhaustion
  • Toe caught in knot of chain – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Flies into old fashion glue fly paper – flaps uncontrollably until injury or death
  • Mouse trap under couch
  • Impaled on knife or sharp object on kitchen counter
  • Bird get laid on because someone thought it was cute to sleep with their bird
  • Flying out the door
  • Ingestion of a home cleaning product
  • Sucked into a vacuum
  • Stepped on
  • Squeezed too hard by a young child
  • Bird bites finger, clamps on – person shakes hand to get bird to release – bird hits floor or wall and dies
  • Run-ins with ceiling fans (Vets call them shredded tweet!)
  • New carpeting outgasses and should not be installed with a bird in the home
  • Second hand smoke
  • Crushed in a sliding glass or any door for that matter
  • Other house pet kills bird
  • Other birds – Lovebirds will bite other birds toes – toe loss can cause a bird to bleed to death rapidly
  • Wrong human food – avocado, chocolate, caffeine
  • Place bird in outdoor cage in the morning, bird bakes in afternoon sun
  • Introduce sick bird into home without quarantine
  • Swallows remote control battery
  • Poisoned or electrocuted by chewing on cell phone
  • Leg band gets caught on toy part
  • Wet seed and some wood debris can create Aspergillus fungus
  • Oven liners
  • Loose & threads threads on bird bedding
  • Scented candles and room fresheners
  • Heavy metal poisoning from an antique brass bird cage
  • Ingesting medication that was dropped on the floor
  • Bird of prey attack while parrot is unattended out of doors
  • Tainted well water
  • camp fires and fire places
  • vinegar + baking soda produces co2
Please ponder this list as you look around your home.
written by
Mitch Rezman, CMO
collaborated with & approved by
Catherine Tobsing, President
© Windy City Parrot,

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Thank you fot this list. A couple of things on here I hadn't considered, and a lot that gave me reassurance that I'm safety conscious.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Wow, great post! A lot of things for people to consider. I'm bookmarking this, great for new bird owners!

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
SO glad I found this list. I’m preparing a room that will be the only room our bird-to-be (on a waitlist for a YS GCC) will have out of cage time —only ever with supervision and have some questions:

this room is my sanctuary and therefore has items you may not expect in a room for a bird. I’m installing safe tree branches throughout, parrot safe plants, and a safe parrot play stand along with his cage. This is also the room I will do my parrot training in.

Which of these Should I worry about (numbered for ease of reply):
1. Picture frames (material unknown but fake gold painted -I know that’s bad but I don’t know whether parrots will likely land on and chew on framed art on a wall?)
2. Curtain rods (metal unknown)
3. Sheepskin (on floor -real, not toxins)
4. Carpet (cannot be removed at this time, sections with cage and perches have cotton rugs on top)
5. Morrocan rug
6. Table of unknown wood/MDF? origin
7. Record player (Wood?)
8. Synthetic fibers (poof covers)
9. Cast iron wall brackets (for attaching manzanita branches)
10. Bladeless air circulator
11. Mac (I mean do parrots chew on the Mac screen edge?!)

also, what do you all think about installing an extra curtain in front of the door as a safety precaution against accidents I read about with doors?

I’ve installed decals on all windows, placed safety lock on closet doors so kids don’t accidentally open or close them too fast, have no scents or fumes, dogs are banned from upstairs (Where room is), have a safety gate at top of stairs just in case dogs forget lol, and really want to just focus on training and enjoying my bird rather than being anxious about what he might do in the room tat I could have prevented so go at it! What have I missed?

thank you all so much for your generosity in sharing insights with a newbie.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@FiatLux
Every bird is different.
You’re asking good questions and doing good research so far, but some things will need to be decided upon after your bird makes his personality known.

I’ve had as many GCC that are absolute pigs and fling poo as I have that are fastidious and clean- I personally would not want a poo flinger free flighted in my sanctuary to splatter my Mac. A “bird room” that also has precious things in it may or may not be a disaster based on the personality of the residents. So there may be things about your bird you have to learn and decide once you get him.

A chewer can’t be trusted around anything not meant to be chewed by a bird, even with supervision. Not heeding this advice often translates into a super frustrated bird parent constantly having to remove their bird from the wall art or the recliner in the corner. If you have a chewer, best bet is to just assume everything it can get its beak on will be munched. Same with poo flingers. Just assume that it will probably get poo on it.

In your sanctuary, also be aware that your bird might not respect that it’s your place. Because to him, that room is his bedroom/bathroom/shower/noise hall etc. Not all GCC are quiet. Some really do like to exercise their lungs and often can hold their own in noise level competitions.

I love the idea of you having a cozy spot that you also share with your feathered friend. But I also know the value in having bird spaces that include everything being washable, sturdy, waterproof (poo proof), and those things equal less stress for me.

Last edited:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
@FiatLux
Every bird is different.
You’re asking good questions and doing good research so far, but some things will need to be decided upon after your bird makes his personality known.

I’ve had as many GCC that are absolute pigs and fling poo as I have that are fastidious and clean- I personally would not want a poo flinger free flighted in my sanctuary to splatter my Mac. A “bird room” that also has precious things in it may or may not be a disaster based on the personality of the residents. So there may be things about your bird you have to learn and decide once you get him.

A chewer can’t be trusted around anything not meant to be chewed by a bird, even with supervision. Not heeding this advice often translates into a super frustrated bird parent constantly having to remove their bird from the wall art or the recliner in the corner. If you have a chewer, best bet is to just assume everything it can get its beak on will be munched. Same with poo flingers. Just assume that it will probably get poo on it.

In your sanctuary, also be aware that your bird might not respect that it’s your place. Because to him, that room is his bedroom/bathroom/shower/noise hall etc. Not all GCC are quiet. Some really do like to exercise their lungs and often can hold their own in noise level competitions.

I love the idea of you having a cozy spot that you also share with your feathered friend. But I also know the value in having bird spaces that include everything being washable, sturdy, waterproof (poo proof), and those things equal less stress for me.
Super helpful! Thank you. I will remove all uncertain items since that will maximize my ability to actually relax in the room with my bird. So what bird safe comfortable seating do people put in bird safe rooms? I was looking at cotton gaming chairs (prefer floor seating) with removable washable covers (and please God let my bird be a non-poo-flinger lol!)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you have bird stands near where you sit it would be good. Birds may chew on most kinds of furniture if they have the opportunity and no chew toys.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I bought some manzanita branches (untreated) but am worried that some of the finer end branches and tips are really sharp. Seems like birds know how to navigate this in the wild but unsure it is safe; should I sand them down?

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sand my manzanita all the time. Mainly because I’m clumsy and I catch all my sweaters/clothing on the sharp edges if it don’t.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I sand my manzanita all the time. Mainly because I’m clumsy and I catch all my sweaters/clothing on the sharp edges if it don’t.
Thank you. Just plain sandpaper or?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
That will be fine :)
Shez you seem really knowledgeable. Can you tell me your thoughts on when to introduce multiple cages? I’m bringing home a weaned baby GCC in 3-4 weeks and will place him first in his night cage in his bird room (My office) because that is a bird safe, dog free area that he can have supervised out of cage time. However, my family spends most of our time downstairs so we set up a cage (With a dog gate around it) in th driving room as well. My question is: how soon do I introduce him to the second cage? I want to balance not overwhelming him with maximizing his time around the family. Thank you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@FiatLux Not really something I can answer with total certainty.

Babies are generally much more accepting and less fearful of new things than older birds so introduce your baby to anything and everything you can think of that is safe and likely to be a part of its life, carriers, bathrooms, sweeping brush, harness, normal household things etc...

Always go at the birds pace when doing anything with it- don't force it to do things but do gently push for necessary things like toweling and nail care etc.
If your baby seems confident and comfortable then I would introduce any cages, toys, perches, carriers, syringes, harnesses and such asap so they are normal things for your bird- if your baby seems less sure and a little stressed then go much slower with the things you do. Take the lead from your bird when it comes home and just work with the cues it gives.

I was advised by many to leave Burt caged for a few days to get used to the sounds and sights of my home but he was literally begging at me to be fed and comforted which meant coming out and interacting, he was ready to interact and see new things within about an hour of being at my home. Once fed and comforted for a bit he was showing obvious signs of curiosity about the people, pets and things in my home he had not seen at the breeders in the bird nursery so I honestly think you need to follow their lead.

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
After reading a really scary thread about a conure pulling a string from something used to cover a cage, I want to find out what is considered a safe nighttime bird cage cover? Is there anything other than the black ones you can get on Amazon? Also it is a bad idea to keep the back top third covered on a green cheek conure cage? We do this with our lizard canary ans he seems to really enjoy the sheltered space but perhaps it’s not the same with a GCC?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
And are painted steel modular shelves considered safe? I saw something similar in a wonderful bird room setup on this forum but cannot figure out of the one I found is safe. See photo. Thank you! Y’all are so helpful as I fall dow the google rabbit hole trying to research before my GCC comes home.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If it is powder coated it should be fine.
Many things like the item you’ve shown are covered with a plastic type coating or just ordinary paint so you’ll need to check the specifics for this particular item- many times our members end up emailing the manufacturer before buying items like this so they know exactly what is used.