• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

' Bird Safe ' Wax Melts?

olivia_m

Moving in
i bought these, but haven't used them yet. are they okay at all? i want to melt them with my windows half open, but i don't want to risk anything. Link to melts

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Candles will never be bird safe. That's because you still have the Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide from the flame. And unless a company changes the laws of Chemistry, it's going to be like that. I'd recommend you not use them. :) And Welcome to the Avenue :welcometrain:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Even if they're the melts, that you put in a tiny crock pot or potpourri pot, I would not, not worth the risk, instead simmer some lemon or orange peel with cinnamon sticks, but do keep that safely away from curious birdies..

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
The linked product is a "flameless candle", so nothing is on fire. It is a scented wax product that you melt to release scents. There is no smoke or carbon dioxide to worry about, as long as it doesn't over-heat, but there are volatile chemicals (scents) which might irritate some birds.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this product to rate its safety.

As a general rule, strongly scented products are best avoided around birds, because they have sensitive lungs. Some scents can be irritating while others are directly toxic. Use at your own risk.

There are a number of "parrot safe" candles, wax melts, essential oils, and incense on the market, but exactly what makes the product "safe" tends to be unclear or poorly explained. I would say that most are just less harmful, not actually safe for use around birds.

My recommendation is to avoid using scented products around your bird, when possible. If you love scents and want to try it out anyways, use the melts in a different room and air out the space before letting your bird in.

olivia_m

Moving in
Candles will never be bird safe. That's because you still have the Carbon Monoxide and Carbon Dioxide from the flame. And unless a company changes the laws of Chemistry, it's going to be like that. I'd recommend you not use them. :) And Welcome to the Avenue :welcometrain:
thank you! they're also not candles, and don't burn, just melt. i'm worried about the fragrance from them.

olivia_m

Moving in
Even if they're the melts, that you put in a tiny crock pot or potpourri pot, I would not, not worth the risk, instead simmer some lemon or orange peel with cinnamon sticks, but do keep that safely away from curious birdies..
thanks! they are, but he's in my room for now and hasn't ventured outside the cage - but i'll see if that will last a little if i bring a pot upstairs

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
No melted wax around parrots, flame or flameless. Once the wax vapour gets into their airsacs and sticks there's no way to remove it.
Also no scent is safe. Even if they claim to be organic or safe the methods used to extract the scents often use solvents.
Please, NO!

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my avian vets is a young lady and loves all the smell good things. She has extensively done research etc on all that jazz. So I asked her.
She concluded that scentsy pots themselves are safe, but no wax melts to go in them are. Including the natural ones. She uses a pot, it has a hidden bowl as she put it, the reservoir part is completely hidden. And only uses water and aromatic fruit or teas in it. Yep. That’s what she said. I guess a fruit tea smelling house wouldn’t be at all bad.

olivia_m

Moving in
One of my avian vets is a young lady and loves all the smell good things. She has extensively done research etc on all that jazz. So I asked her.
She concluded that scentsy pots themselves are safe, but no wax melts to go in them are. Including the natural ones. She uses a pot, it has a hidden bowl as she put it, the reservoir part is completely hidden. And only uses water and aromatic fruit or teas in it. Yep. That’s what she said. I guess a fruit tea smelling house wouldn’t be at all bad.
So tea in a wax melter is okay? I never would have thought of that on my own

Cocky2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jeni
Although this this thread is 3 yrs old, this topic is still important & always will be important.

Firstly, for years I have used a scented oil diffuser, using 100% pure essential oils singles (cinnamon, clove, orange, lemon, patchouli, nutmeg & vanilla), & blends from 'Woolzies' & 'NOW', with no problems.
Secondly, I also use dessert scented (pies, cakes, cookies...) soy wax melts from 'Happy Wax' [natural soy wax, infused with essential oils and free of phthalates]. I stay away from florals, herbals, woodsy & cotton/linen scents because they tend to be sharp & can be irritating.
Lastly, there is a company called 'Parrot Safe Candles' that sells candles & wax melts. I haven't tried anything from them yet, but the reviews seem promising.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Cocky2

Real Name
Jeni
Is this what you are talking about:
Sorry there is no such thing as a safe wax melt bird safe or otherwise. If it can be made or formed into a vapor or vaporized, it is not safe for our birds or for those that have respiratory problems, such asthma, COPD.
If you have link please share it.
Is this what you are talking about:
Sorry there is no such thing as a safe wax melt bird safe or otherwise. If it can be made or formed into a vapor or vaporized, it is not safe for our birds or for those that have respiratory problems, such asthma, COPD.
If you have link please share it.

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
You have to look at the ingredients. All essential oils I bring in my home are organic and outside tested (the company uses another company to test every batch) to make sure there are no harmful impurities.

Cocky2

Real Name
Jeni
The lead question on this thread was only about bird safe wax melts. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable on what is & isn't safe for people to use if they have respiratory issues like asthma & COPD.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sorry I have read their site and will not agree that they are safe. Wax whether paraffin or soy is still putting compounds in the air as a vaporized molecule, that is not safe to breath, inhale for our bird. Wicks whether cotton or whatever else they use burn and put junk in the air. You will notice that they are not showing any of their testing results on their site. Sorry I am prove it to me girl. I want to see their testing word for word letter by letter and their studies but straight up and blind studies. And I don't care what some veterinarian is bragging, that it is safe. Malarkey
I use to volunteer in vet clinic that was both avian and small animals. I was there the day that a client brought in her wheezing parrots from some one in the house lighting a oil diffuser with essential oils in it. The birds were not even the same room, end of story she lost her 5 year old scarlet macaw from respiratory distress. From essential oils.

Just to reiterate there are no safe wax candles soy melts wax melts ever for a bird period!!!!!!!!!!

I have asthma and certain strong scents will throw me into wheezing ,coughing and not being able to catch my breath. This includes strong perfumes, body washes, body sprays and laundry detergent, scent booster even fabric softeners.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sorry I have read their site and will not agree that they are safe. Wax whether paraffin or soy is still putting compounds in the air as a vaporized molecule, that is not safe to breath, inhale for our bird. Wicks whether cotton or whatever else they use burn and put junk in the air. You will notice that they are not showing any of their testing results on their site. Sorry I am prove it to me girl. I want to see their testing word for word letter by letter and their studies but straight up and blind studies. And I don't care what some veterinarian is bragging, that it is safe. Malarkey
I use to volunteer in vet clinic that was both avian and small animals. I was there the day that a client brought in her wheezing parrots from some one in the house lighting a oil diffuser with essential oils in it. The birds were not even the same room, end of story she lost her 5 year old scarlet macaw from respiratory distress. From essential oils.

Just to reiterate there are no safe wax candles soy melts wax melts ever for a bird period!!!!!!!!!!

I have asthma and certain strong scents will throw me into wheezing ,coughing and not being able to catch my breath. This includes strong perfumes, body washes, body sprays and laundry detergent, scent booster even fabric softeners.
I read some of their information but it is questionable and still not a product I would use- I could not force myself to read past this part of their marketing... "Even the wick is made of 100% natural paper and soy, allowing for a much cleaner burn with fewer carcinogens released into the air compared to other wicks. As for the fragrances, they are created with a combination of natural essential oils and synthetic aroma chemicals."

They give no proof that the different wick and their choice of stinky things means their product is safe- the wording above tells me it is not safe when it states it has FEWER CARCINOGENS than other wicks... fewer does not mean SAFE!! Synthetic aroma chemicals?? I do not want to breathe in chemicals but more importantly I won't allow my bird to breathe in chemicals!

Actually really upsets me when Vets put their name to crap like this for the money :extremeanger: Happening way too much with todays need for people to not make changes for the animals they choose to bring into their homes- Dog shampoos and fragrances are a prime example, I can't convince any of my silly friends with too much money that the reason they need to keep getting the dog wash van around to bathe their horribly stinky dogs is because of the damage all the crap being put on their dogs is causing to their skin and natural oil output. They all complain that my dogs have never smell but theirs do and my dogs only get bathed if they get something really gross on them (like roll in dead rotting animal) that I won't allow into the house. My current dog has been washed once many many years ago and she has no stink, perfect coat and skin and her vet loves that I do not add chemical rot to her body to smell all pretty.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Even the wick is made of 100% natural paper and soy, allowing for a much cleaner burn with fewer carcinogens released into the air compared to other wicks. As for the fragrances, they are created with a combination of natural essential oils and synthetic aroma chemicals."
That really worries me, synthetic aroma chemicals, think about all the synthetic things that we have put in our lives. It basic words its not natural pure, it's a freaking chemical. NOPE!!!!
Once again to reiterate these are not safe or birds or humans.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you need to put aroma into the air buy a small electric crock & put orange or apple peels, vanilla, cinnamon, etc., in it on low heat. No candles, sprays, wax melts,etc. None are safe.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
EXACTLY ^^^^^^^^