• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-Safe Space Heaters

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I live in hellish-hot South Florida, but thanks to the modern miracle of central air conditioning, my parrot and family are always comfortable. Of course, it’s also supposed to supply heat, all via electric.

However, every few years...and I’m not exaggerating...we have just a FEW cold days where we actually NEED heat. Just a few days, where the temps drop below 60F.

It’s incredibly rare, and my central unit doesn’t do a good job of hear at all. It needs SOME kind of repair, but it has never been worth looking into paying the money to fix since we’re only talking a few days, MAYBE a week, every few years.

As winter approaches, is there any danger to parrots using indoor electric/ceramic space heaters, just for the bird, should the need arise?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Have you considered the radiator style portable heaters? I believe they are safe for humans and birds. Used the same one now for a long time. They are electric.
@finchly

Reactions: Ira

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Yes there is danger, a lot of heaters have Teflon in them which is toxic to birds when it burns. I use a Sunbeam heater model: SQH310 which is bird safe. And I'm sure there are many others out there that are bird safe

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey I’m in S Florida also. You mean those few hours when we actually have a frost warning? :loltears: It’s like one night in Jan. From 3 a.m. to 4 a.m.

I know the oil-filled heaters are safe for birds. They also work surprisingly well! Not sure about the others you mentioned.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Teflon is not in all heaters and the one I mentioned is used by many bird people I know. Even the vet I used to go to used a radiator heater in his hospital room.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Not sure if that's what she meant, but it's what I meant! :laugh:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes it looks like a radiator and filled with oil. Its radiant heat.