• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe scents?

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
I'm having a seriously hard time potty training my 5 month old puppy (if anyone has advice on that feel free to leave it lol) and he's having a lot of accidents on my carpet. Despite constantly scrubbing the carpet with vinegar and Nature's Miracle, my apartment has started to seriously stink. Does anyone know of any safe ways to make it smell nice besides stovetop potpourri? I'm going to try that, but I would really like some other options, preferably something that will last a long time and not require a lot of attention.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sprinkle a good amount of Bi Carb soda onto your carpet and leave it overnight (at least) then vac. You can agitate the carpet a bit to get the Bi carb to drop into the pile if needed.

Does your puppy get taken straight outside and put onto the grass as soon as it wakes up, finishes playing and has just eaten? Do you ignore (but obviously clean up) the indoor messes it makes? In my experience dogs/puppies only ever mess inside when they’re raised with either confusing signals or simply not enough opportunities to toilet outdoors at the right times.
If a puppy sleeps it nearly always desperately needs to toilet as soon as waking.
If a puppy plays it usually needs the loo before settling down.
If it eats or drinks it will nearly always need to empty ASAP.
It’s kinda a matter of always being prepared and ready to grab that pup and bolt straight outside to an appropriate poop/pee spot (usually grass is best) as soon as the mentioned activities happen. The sooner your dog realises it will be given ample opportunity to go outdoors and it’s highly praised for toileting on the grass it should start to learn to ask to go out- they naturally don’t want to mess their bed/den and it’s a natural thing for them to empty at the above mentioned times.

je0409

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jadie
Sprinkle a good amount of Bi Carb soda onto your carpet and leave it overnight (at least) then vac. You can agitate the carpet a bit to get the Bi carb to drop into the pile if needed.

Does your puppy get taken straight outside and put onto the grass as soon as it wakes up, finishes playing and has just eaten? Do you ignore (but obviously clean up) the indoor messes it makes? In my experience dogs/puppies only ever mess inside when they’re raised with either confusing signals or simply not enough opportunities to toilet outdoors at the right times.
If a puppy sleeps it nearly always desperately needs to toilet as soon as waking.
If a puppy plays it usually needs the loo before settling down.
If it eats or drinks it will nearly always need to empty ASAP.
It’s kinda a matter of always being prepared and ready to grab that pup and bolt straight outside to an appropriate poop/pee spot (usually grass is best) as soon as the mentioned activities happen. The sooner your dog realises it will be given ample opportunity to go outdoors and it’s highly praised for toileting on the grass it should start to learn to ask to go out- they naturally don’t want to mess their bed/den and it’s a natural thing for them to empty at the above mentioned times.
thank you for the advice! i think my problem is that i live in an apartment with a lot of other dogs around and irresponsible neighbors that don't clean up after their dogs, so i kept him inside for awhile until he had all his shots because i didnt want him getting near other fecal matter. because of this, he's now confused bc he thinks he's SUPPOSED to use the bathroom inside and now he can hold his bladder for a pretty long time bc he's older, so he'll just wait until he's brought back inside instead of using it outside. i try to watch him when i bring him back in so i can take him straight outside when i feel like he's gonna go, but sometimes i miss it. neverthelss i will prevail!! :laughing2: thank you so much! i will try the baking soda.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Anything natural would be safe like citrus. No essential oils please. Cut up lemons and oranges put them in a pot of wTer and boil. The gentle scent is great. Add a bit of cinnamon.