• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe plants

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
None of your business :)
I want to decorate my birds cage with vines and plants, i've looked up bird safe plants and it comes up with different answers. We have lots of devils ivy plants around the house, 1 website says devils ivy is VERY toxic to birds but others say its safe for birds. I would really like my bird cage to be more like wildlife and less just artificial toys from the pet store.

Could you please tell me some bird safe plants that i could put in my bird cage (My bird will probably nibble on them).

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I choose to not use parts from any plant that is questionable- if one list says safe and another says unsafe I wont use, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
I use a lot of small branches off our bottle brush tree, the birds have a blast with the flowers, nuts and bark and they can usually be found easily in most places. Most Australian natives are safe.

Last edited:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
If you find doubt about a plant, probably safest not to use it.
I decorate my birds cages with leaves and flowers from outside. I use bottle brush, eucalyptus, and lilly Lilly. Those are all bird safe plants.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
I choose to not use parts from any plant that is questionable- if one list says safe and another says unsafe I wont use, it is always better to be safe than sorry.
I use a lot of small branches off our bottle brush tree, the birds have a blast with the flowers, nuts and bark and they can usually be found easily in most places. Most Australian natives are safe.
Could i use gum tree branches with the leaves still on it, im surrounded by gum trees

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
If you find doubt about a plant, probably safest not to use it.
I decorate my birds cages with leaves and flowers from outside. I use bottle brush, eucalyptus, and lilly Lilly. Those are all bird safe plants.
Ok, thanks so much :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Here are a couple of lists, I generally look at a few to check that it is more than once source saying the particular plant I want to use is safe. Just always try to only use trees you know for sure have not been chemically treated.

WinniePooh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Here are a couple of lists, I generally look at a few to check that it is more than once source saying the particular plant I want to use is safe. Just always try to only use trees you know for sure have not been chemically treated.

Ok, thanks. Ive decided i will put the jacaranda in :)