• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe Heaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Does anyone have any info on this? I know about the panels but have seen quite a few other heaters and am not sure what to look for to make sure they are safe for or birds. I know about running them outside a few times to let them burn off any odors but is there anything specific that is not ok? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Barb-For YEARS I have used the oil filled radiator heaters.They have NO exposed heating elements,NO Fan to get clogged up with dander and create a fire hazard,they can be Set at a certain temp-and once that temp is reached-the heated oil stays warm for awhile-SO it does not work as hard as other heaters:) Am I making sense with My description:confused:
Here is Lots of links:hug8:http://search.netzero.net/autosearch?action=autosearch&query=Holmes%20Oil%20filled%20Radiator%20Heaters
OH and BTW-they have only cost-ed a dollar a day to run:D

Last edited:

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I've had a couple of electric heaters for several years that I've been using & have considered those oil-based heaters. Which one do you have, Bonnie?

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
We have no heat installed in our house right now so we have been using some borrowed Delonghi oil filled heaters...they work great. They do get very hot to the touch though if on a higher heat so you need to make sure the birds won't land on them.

We also have a vornado space heater that is really nice and teflon free.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I've had a couple of electric heaters for several years that I've been using & have considered those oil-based heaters. Which one do you have, Bonnie?
My oldest one(bought in NY almost 20 years ago) is a Delonghi,and it still works great:) The newer one is a Holmes.Yes they do get hot to the touch-so care needs to be taken,but I think they are Great:)

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I just bought a Delonghi at Lowes a few weeks ago, I am glad to know that they have a great lifespan on them! :)

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Thank you guys I will go get one then. Hug's Barb and Isis

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ive had a Delonghi for about 10+ years also. I LOVE that heater. Oil filled are great for supplemental heat, and great for doing an entire room. I am always cold so I keep one in the computer room in the winter so we dont have to heat the whole house to "my" temperature. :lol:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Anything with an exposed heating element is not very safe IMO. Grill over it or not. Ceramic heaters are not too bad.

Last edited:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
we use the oil filled radiator types heaters here and at the camp (whose main heat is a wood burning stove LOL ) for supplemental heat and love them - have the smaller size delonghi for near the bird cage - it has a thermostat and timer, which is nice, can set it to turn off in the warmer parts of the day

the other two are sunpen or something similiar, came from Wally world at least 5 years ago, they both have thermostats and work like a charm

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I need to run out tomorrow and get a few more of them! Brrrr......

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Barb-For YEARS I have used the oil filled radiator heaters.They have NO exposed heating elements,NO Fan to get clogged up with dander and create a fire hazard,they can be Set at a certain temp-and once that temp is reached-the heated oil stays warm for awhile-SO it does not work as hard as other heaters:) Am I making sense with My description:confused:
Here is Lots of links:hug8:Search - Free Dial Up Internet Service - High Speed ISP - Net Zero Internet Provider - Netzero.com
I use oil rad.heaters also have for yrs..

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The Vornado electric space heaters don't have any Teflon. I called the factory before I bought one and the CSR answered me almost before I got the question out of my mouth. She said they have lots of bird people call them. Mine only lasted about a year, but it is the best I have seen for heating the entire room, because of the way it spreads the air out.
ML

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
ML I have one of those in the bird room now...I love it! I had also called when I got it and learned it was safe. We have had ours for about 4-5 years and it is still going strong.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
My oldest one(bought in NY almost 20 years ago) is a Delonghi,and it still works great:) The newer one is a Holmes.Yes they do get hot to the touch-so care needs to be taken,but I think they are Great:)

Bonnie I took your advice and got the delonghi also and love it!

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Here is Lots of links:hug8:Search - Free Dial Up Internet Service - High Speed ISP - Net Zero Internet Provider - Netzero.com
We use these in our household and they are great. Lakewood and Delonghi heaters are safe. But I would call the manufacter before you use any to make sure it contains no teflon.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Something to think about when using a space heater or any kind of heat really is how much it dries the air out. Forced heat just sucks the moisture out of the air. Always consider a way of replacing the moisture with some kind of humidifier. Many furnaces have humidifiers built right in. I know the dry air is hard on my lungs and makes my skin very dry and itchy so it has to be hard on the birds too.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Something to think about when using a space heater or any kind of heat really is how much it dries the air out. Forced heat just sucks the moisture out of the air. Always consider a way of replacing the moisture with some kind of humidifier. Many furnaces have humidifiers built right in. I know the dry air is hard on my lungs and makes my skin very dry and itchy so it has to be hard on the birds too.

Good Point John!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.