• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More

Jacci

Moving in
Real Name
Jacci
My conure chases ants and eats them. Don't know if it's safe. We don't do ant traps or anything so I am pretty certain they have not been through insecticide.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
My conure chases ants and eats them. Don't know if it's safe. We don't do ant traps or anything so I am pretty certain they have not been through insecticide.
Some birds do "ant" bath... which helps get rid of any pests that might be hiding in their feathers.... but that's not anting! I can't imagine eating ants is very tasty...

I tend to have ant issues in the warmer months... can't always figure out where they are coming in as there isn't a "line", so to speak, of their entrance.

Jason Crean does recommend feeding meal worms though... which I've heard conflicting information on how healthy those are... at least, for reptiles. Not really much said in regards to birds.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I've heard papaya seeds are actually a good thing. It's the apple, cherry, etc. seeds I've read we should avoid :confused:

I also believe garlic has its benefits when fed in moderation.
No offense here, but garlic can pose a huge risk to birds. It is ok to feed rarely, but I think that with birds it’s better to be safe than sorry.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any specific yogurt brand ???
amount recommended???
Brands can vary from place to place... but would recommend searching for greek yogurt specifically (not a brand, simply a 'type' of yogurt) that's plain. Amount? Not very much at all. When I was giving my mitred medications, I was mixing his meds in with the yogurt. I used small amounts, but enough to mix the meds in and that was it. I can't say how much I gave him overall.

Yogurt, IMO, isn't something that should be made into a habit of feeding on a frequent basis, but as an occasional treat it may be fine. Remember, birds aren't mammals, so they aren't really designed to digest dairy products, and some dairy products can actually be quite harmful to them.

SaraL

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sara
Hi, in the initial posting of safe fruits, I saw nectarines but not peaches. I realize that it’s next to impossible to list everything, (especially if it should be obvious), but I just bought some organic peaches and want to be sure they’re ok? Obviously not the pitts, flesh only.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hi, in the initial posting of safe fruits, I saw nectarines but not peaches. I realize that it’s next to impossible to list everything, (especially if it should be obvious), but I just bought some organic peaches and want to be sure they’re ok? Obviously not the pitts, flesh only.
They’re perfectly fine :) My boy has had them plenty of times.

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks, for replying! I did Google it, but at this point I only trust y’all. :)
Not the pit! Be very careful w/ fruits as some pits & seeds are toxic. :hug8:

Bekahlands

Meeting neighbors
I seem to be posting this more often, or referring people to it, and since I haven't added it here (got lost, tried to come back, got confused, couldn't figure it out... okay, I'm here!) thought I'd add this in, too!

The list for the grains, legumes, veggies, and fruits are mostly from the Feeding Feathers YH-group. The list of foods to avoid is from Buffalo Parrots. List of seeds, well I just looked at a few packages of bird food to get the ingredients off of. I did add a few things to the lists but didn't remove anything.

FF recommends feeding 15% pulses, 30% grains, 45% veggies, and 10% fruits. (Species specific diets and birds with special dietary needs may differ than the general recommendation). All of this can be mixed together as a 'mash' diet. Fresh foods should take up a minimum of 25% of the diet, but can take up as much as 90% with treats, pellets, nuts, and seeds taking up the rest. Sprouted seeds are healthier than dry seeds. *Some pellet companies may only recommend no more than 10% fresh foods as having any more may "unbalance" their 'balanced' diets*

Cooked grains - can also be sprouted
  • Millet
  • Quinoa
  • Amaranth
  • Whole Oats
  • Hulless Barley
  • Spelt or Kamut
  • Teff
  • Brown Rice
  • Wild Rice
  • Buckwheat

Cooked legumes - or sprouted with 1/4" tails
  • Adzuki
  • Mung
  • Sprouting Peas
  • Lentils
  • 13 Bean Soup minus Spice Packet - not as good as others but works

Vegetables - Fed fresh, lightly steamed, or even frozen (thawed) out of the frozen section in grocery store
  • Pumpkin
  • Carrots
  • Acorn or Butternut Squash
  • Red or Green Pepper
  • Kale
  • Dandelion Greens
  • Mustard Greens
  • Collard Greens
  • Turnip Greens
  • Broccoli
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Romaine or other dark leafy lettuce
  • Jicama
  • Peas
  • Zucchini
  • Green Beans
  • Tomatoes
  • Cabbage
  • Chinese Cabbage
  • Bokchoy
  • Carrot Tops
  • Cactus Leaf
  • Okra
  • Kohlrabi
  • Spaghetti Squash
  • Cauliflower
  • Radish
  • Chayote Squash
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Escarole
  • Endive
  • Corn
  • Beet Root

Fruits
  • Papaya
  • Mango
  • Any type of berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc)
  • Pomegranate
  • Kiwi
  • Oranges
  • Melons
  • Nectarines
  • Cherries
  • Apricot
  • Grapefruit
  • Banana
  • Pears
  • Apples
  • Figs
  • Pineapple
  • Lemons
  • Limes

Other Foods
  • Whole Wheat Pasta
  • Whole Grain Breads
  • Corn Bread
  • Cooked Eggs
  • Sprouted Seeds

Avoid the following foods
-Avocados

-Dairy Products(Except Yogurt)

-Fruit Rinds

-Rhubarb

-Raw Meats

-Onions

-Garlic

-Chocolate

-Salty/Sugary Foods

-Alcohol

-Fruit Pits

-Peanuts

-Uncooked Rice

-Uncooked Beans

-Seeds of: Pears, Oranges, Papaya, Grapefruit, Grapes, Apples & some Melons

-Mayonnaise products

-Caffeine

And here's an imcomplete list of seeds you could feed: safflower seed, white millet, oat groats, buckwheat, canary grass seed, sunflower seeds, hemp seed (human grade), whole wheat, rolled barley, pumpkin seeds, shelled peanuts, almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, red millet, nyger
Can I feed uncooked quinoa, hemp hearts, chia seeds, whole wheat seeds, and Kamut?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Can I feed uncooked quinoa, hemp hearts, chia seeds, whole wheat seeds, and Kamut?
Some people may feed quinoa dry, but it seems the general consensus is to soak and/or sprout it.

I haven't fed hemp in a long while now, but when I did, I fed it dry. I don't see any reason not to feed it that way if you'd like!

Chia seeds also need to be soaked... to my understanding. That said, I have seen where people have added it dry to their chop of fresh foods! And the chia seeds soak up some of the moisture from the chop.

Wheat is a common ingredient in dry food packages. Kamut is a type of wheat so I can't say there's any harm in feeding either dry.

Avian Raw Whole Food Nutrition on Facebook can be a great resource in learning more about how to feed our feathered companions. :)