• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More

Tracer58

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tracy
I like to avoid seed mixes with peanuts in them, but then again, I have smaller birds, so it's easy to do that. Even with larger mixes, I think I'd probably avoid them. They may be fine in moderation, but I prefer to be on the cautious side.
I agree, being cautious is good!

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Would it be possible to add edible flowers and herbs to the list? Perhaps under veggies? They can provide quite a lot of color, flavor and trace nutrients.
(For example are Rosemary, Thyme and Mint all safe as long as organic? What about edible flowers like carnations, nasturtiums, hibiscus flowers or borage flowers?)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Thank you all for some insight on the various foods. I have read and heard a lot of contradictory information on feeding hookbills. It's nice to be a part of a discussion as opposed to one person claiming expertise and shaming anyone who is trying to learn. I've been experimenting with different pelleted food varieties and different cooked foods with various fresh fruits and veggies in an attempt to discover what my birds like, as well as to expose them to variety in their diet. Gus came to us at about 5 months old having just been fed seed. I would introduce fresh veggies and fruits to him as little snacks or treats. The vet strongly recommended a pelleted diet, as opposed to so much seed. We've had Gus for almost two years and he molted out absolutely stunningly this year. His colors were vibrant. Dunno if it's age, diet, or both. I suppose time will tell. Max's breeder had fed him lots of cooked veggies and fresh veggies and fruits. He has been easy, will eat just about anything. Gus is still picky, but his diet has a huge variety in it compared to what he had been eating when we got him. I'm putting this thread on my watched group! I am preparing to try sprouted food stuffs. My birds have improved my diet, too!

NightProwess

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mandy
I saw one list of nuts, but does anyone have any info about Black Walnuts? and what about Hickory Nuts? I haven't been able to find much information on it.

We have TONS of black walnut trees and hickory trees and they are loaded with nuts, I don't want to give River something that may not be good for him. I know some trees are higher in Tannins, but wasn't sure if the nuts were.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would imagine that both black walnuts and hickory nuts are fine, haven't heard otherwise, although it certainly doesn't hurt to do more research! Actually hoping to learn more about feeding walnuts to parrots next month.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
Has anyone read about high oxalic acid foods being toxic? I give my parrot kale on a daily basis mixed in a birdie chop, however now I just read this article from another thread:Birds n Ways - Poisonous Foods & Compounds saying that high oxalic acid foods are toxic for parrots, which kale happens to be one of the greens that contain the highest amount? Should I not be giving my parrot kale very often? Everywhere else I read that kale is a great thing to feed!

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Has anyone read about high oxalic acid foods being toxic? I give my parrot kale on a daily basis mixed in a birdie chop, however now I just read this article from another thread:Birds n Ways - Poisonous Foods & Compounds saying that high oxalic acid foods are toxic for parrots, which kale happens to be one of the greens that contain the highest amount? Should I not be giving my parrot kale very often? Everywhere else I read that kale is a great thing to feed!
I had not been aware of this issue. Mine get some chopped veggies, including some kale, each morning. I hope I haven’t been inadvertently poisoning them:scared2:

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I had not been aware of this issue. Mine get some chopped veggies, including some kale, each morning. I hope I haven’t been inadvertently poisoning them:scared2:
I sure hope not either! I give mine kale every day as well! Thing is I have really only found that information on that link, any other link that mentions oxalic acid foods it says that spinach, chard, and beet greens are the ones that should be given in moderation, not kale. It seems to be my understanding as well that the only thing high oxalic acid foods seems to do is affect calcium absorption?

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
Calcium oxalate is the predominant mineral in human kidney stones. :hmmm:Makes me wonder what effect, if any, it would have on our feathered friends.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I would only be concerned about kale (or other high oxalic acid foods - parsley is another!) if that is the *ONLY* vegetable being fed. Now, from my understanding, if you cook it (or steam), it helps to break down the oxalic acid, making the calcium easier to absorb.

If your bird eats a varied diet with various foods in it, I wouldn't be that concerned at all. Blood tests can confirm if you are feeding a well rounded diet or not. :)

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
I would only be concerned about kale (or other high oxalic acid foods - parsley is another!) if that is the *ONLY* vegetable being fed. Now, from my understanding, if you cook it (or steam), it helps to break down the oxalic acid, making the calcium easier to absorb.

If your bird eats a varied diet with various foods in it, I wouldn't be that concerned at all. Blood tests can confirm if you are feeding a well rounded diet or not. :)
My parrot is extremely picky with his food so in a desperate attempt to get him to eat at least some vegetables I chop up kale, broccoli, carrots, and bell peppers into extremely tiny little pieces (thank goodness for food processors) and coat his fruit that he actually does enjoy with this veggie chop, in the hopes that he has no choice but to at least get some of the vegetables into his mouth! Lol! So I am not certain how much he is actually eating in regards to kale, but it is definitely not only kale he is being served.

Jacci

Moving in
Real Name
Jacci
Hi, this is all very confusing for a new bird mom, especially since my conure ONLY wants to eat seeds. And if she does eat something new, she goes back to the seeds after a while. I am terrified if I take the seeds out of the cage, she'll starve to death.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi, this is all very confusing for a new bird mom, especially since my conure ONLY wants to eat seeds. And if she does eat something new, she goes back to the seeds after a while. I am terrified if I take the seeds out of the cage, she'll starve to death.
Then perhaps this thread may be helpful :)

Birds can go for 24 or more hours without food, but I would never recommend starving a bird! If they go an hour or two without their regular food, then that's fine!

MAM

Meeting neighbors
I was told not to feed tomatoes or peanuts by the pet store, but discovered tomatoes and peanuts in the food they sold me. I have only had my bird a day. I am going to switch his food, but I am wondering are the tomatoes safe?

Vittror

Jogging around the block
The green (plant) parts aren't safe.
The red parts however should be, although I'm not 100% sure about the seeds inside.

I'm going to tag a few people who might hopefully can give you a better answer
@Mizzely
@Zara
@cassiesdad

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Tomato flesh and included seeds are safe. Avoid the greens (leaves, root, stem)

MAM

Meeting neighbors
Tomato flesh and included seeds are safe. Avoid the greens (leaves, root, stem)
The green (plant) parts aren't safe.
The red parts however should be, although I'm not 100% sure about the seeds inside.

I'm going to tag a few people who might hopefully can give you a better answer
@Mizzely
@Zara
@cassiesdad
Thank you! I was very confused as to why they would include something unsafe in his feed!