• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird safe carpet cleaning solution?

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
We are closing on a new house today, and the current homeowners have stated that they just yesterday, and for years have used "Rug Doctor carpet cleaner" on their carpets. I tried calling the Rug Doctor company's support line, and the guy on the phone could only say "it is pet and children safe"...no specific mention of birds; he had zero information about his own products. Very unhelpful. My question is, has anyone here used this line of products before and proven it to be safe to use around birds? Would it be safe to bring the birds to the house regardless once the carpets have dried? Maybe I worry too much, but birds are *not* "pets" in the traditional sense, so the customer support guy did nothing to ease my anxiety on this topic.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest cleaning the carpets, once dry, air the house & then move the birds in. I have shampooed my carpets many times using Bissell products with no adverse affects to my birds.

SunfireKat

Moving in
Real Name
Kat
I'd suggest cleaning the carpets, once dry, air the house & then move the birds in. I have shampooed my carpets many times using Bissell products with no adverse affects to my birds.
Thanks for the reply. I ended up getting a professional company to come steam clean today without using chemicals, just to try to clean the carpet all up...just in case. I'm not much of a risk taker.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I bought my own carpet cleaner machine and just used hot water.

Ultimately I used a little white vinegar on spots, just sprayed with vinegar from a bottle. My carpet was cream colored. I was amazed at how well just hot water cleaned.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've used Woolite and Resolve with a Bissel without issues.