• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Room Project: Advice Requested

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I am still open to ideas regarding how to change the wall though. What do you guys suggest?

I worry that they will still be able to peel off the pvc wall tiles. Adding real stone walls to those sections would be too expensive since it’s a large sq footage. Do people ever use concrete walls around birds? Behind the wallpaper is drywall so I’m just trying to look at all the options

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am still open to ideas regarding how to change the wall though. What do you guys suggest?

I worry that they will still be able to peel off the pvc wall tiles. Adding real stone walls to those sections would be too expensive since it’s a large sq footage. Do people ever use concrete walls around birds? Behind the wallpaper is drywall so I’m just trying to look at all the options
I'm always cautious with manufactured stone walls because you never really know what's in them. My Buffons ripped a chunk out of the stacked stone I have around the fireplace. With it being manufactured I'm worried about fiberglass or some other unknown stuff that might be in it.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I'm always cautious with manufactured stone walls because you never really know what's in them. My Buffons ripped a chunk out of the stacked stone I have around the fireplace. With it being manufactured I'm worried about fiberglass or some other unknown stuff that might be in it.
Was the stone you used faux stone or real? I will use real stone if I absolutely have to since I don't want to have to keep replacing it but I just wish there were more options. Fumbles loves to dangle from the curtains and rip off whatever she can thats within her reach. I already had to put plexiglass (pet window sill protector) over the window trim to keep her from chewing on that. No matter how many toys she has or stimulation she still seems to think that walls are the best toy lol.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Was the stone you used faux stone or real? I will use real stone if I absolutely have to since I don't want to have to keep replacing it but I just wish there were more options. Fumbles loves to dangle from the curtains and rip off whatever she can thats within her reach. I already had to put plexiglass (pet window sill protector) over the window trim to keep her from chewing on that. No matter how many toys she has or stimulation she still seems to think that walls are the best toy lol.
It feels like real stone but from looking at the back it's clear that it's a composite material of some sort. It was there when we moved in so there is no way to tell for sure, so I'm just extra cautious about it. We're going to have it removed and replaced with tile and an LED fireplace. We've never used the fireplace and there are so few opportunities to use it here in Arizona that it's just a waste of space.

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
No advises from me as I am inexperienced in this department but I do have a lot of appreciation for your hard work. Hoping to build a bird room for my birds too some day and I’ve definitely taken great amount of inspiration from you! Keep up the good work!!!

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
It feels like real stone but from looking at the back it's clear that it's a composite material of some sort. It was there when we moved in so there is no way to tell for sure, so I'm just extra cautious about it. We're going to have it removed and replaced with tile and an LED fireplace. We've never used the fireplace and there are so few opportunities to use it here in Arizona that it's just a waste of space.
lol I agree unless you live up north in AZ like I do there arent many times of the year when a fireplace is useful. Though since you mentioned tile, I wonder how well ceramic tile would hold up on the wall. I could use grout for extra support I just dont know how well it would hold.

No advises from me as I am inexperienced in this department but I do have a lot of appreciation for your hard work. Hoping to build a bird room for my birds too some day and I’ve definitely taken great amount of inspiration from you! Keep up the good work!!!
Thanks! I figured I wasn't the only one who wanted to create a room for the birds so I wanted to record my progress here so people could know what works well and what doesnt. Some day when I have a different property my dream is to make one large thermoregulated building with multiple rooms to hold all my animals (tortoises, iguana, macaws, vacation dog kennel). The bird room would be in the center and the walls around it would be half solid half glass so you can see into the other enclosures. Our current HOA doesnt allow large buildings on our property so we are working with what we have for now. Someday I hope to make it happen.

Some more things I have been thinking about lately:
1. I want to add a water fountain inside the building in one of the corners so the birds will always have moving water to play/bathe in.
2. I want to add some wall mounted gravity feeders modified as a foraging contraption for the birds when I go on vacation.
3. I am thinking of ways to minimize the work for my bird sitter when I do leave on trips. We have a few planned this summer so I am trying to get all of this done by then.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Some more things I have been thinking about lately:
1. I want to add a water fountain inside the building in one of the corners so the birds will always have moving water to play/bathe in.
2. I want to add some wall mounted gravity feeders modified as a foraging contraption for the birds when I go on vacation.
3. I am thinking of ways to minimize the work for my bird sitter when I do leave on trips. We have a few planned this summer so I am trying to get all of this done by then.
Ooooh a fountain sounds cool :wideyed:

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Whoa.

This is absolutely dreamy :swoon: You should do a video tour of it!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know how expensive they might be but you can get large sheets of stainless steel that can be screwed to the wall. One of the rescues in Arizona uses it in one of their rooms. I believe it goes from the floor to about halfway up the wall. It makes it easy to clean and the sheets are so large that it would be difficult for a bird to take it down. We've discussed putting plexiglass sheets up in the room where the resident birds have their night cages. We've had macaw cages pushed too close to the walls and they decide to take chunks out of it at night. In the room where I keep conures, I have large sheets of corrugated PVC behind some of the cages. There are a few birds that like to shoot their droppings outside of the cage and I'm tired of scrubbing the walls. The sheets can be taken outside and sprayed off with a hose if they are too soiled to be wiped down.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I don't know how expensive they might be but you can get large sheets of stainless steel that can be screwed to the wall. One of the rescues in Arizona uses it in one of their rooms. I believe it goes from the floor to about halfway up the wall. It makes it easy to clean and the sheets are so large that it would be difficult for a bird to take it down. We've discussed putting plexiglass sheets up in the room where the resident birds have their night cages. We've had macaw cages pushed too close to the walls and they decide to take chunks out of it at night. In the room where I keep conures, I have large sheets of corrugated PVC behind some of the cages. There are a few birds that like to shoot their droppings outside of the cage and I'm tired of scrubbing the walls. The sheets can be taken outside and sprayed off with a hose if they are too soiled to be wiped down.
I have looked into those and though they would be quite expensive I am not sure it would solve my problem. The birds are ripping/destroying the upper half of the wall rather than the lower portion. Luckily their cage isn't near enough to any of the walls where we get poop splatter, which would make an extra mess!

I can definitely post updated pictures or videos once its all done :)

Last edited:

howdymjm

Meeting neighbors
I have looked into those and though they would be quite expensive I am not sure it would solve my problem. The birds are ripping/destroying the upper half of the wall rather than the lower portion. Luckily their cage isn't near enough to any of the walls where we get poop splatter, which would make an extra mess!

I can definitely post updated pictures or videos once its all done :)
may use white tile adhesive troweled on to walls , but may need to replace sheetrock with concrete fiber board. seen people use it cover outside bricks instead of painting bricks.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Well we shall see how this holds up. Excuse the lack of toys, their subscription is coming this week.
View attachment 423006
I hope that you do not mind me asking, and if you do please do not answer, but did you purchase that recently? I had seen them years back, but about two years ago when I went to purchase one, they seem to have gone out of business. I did not know if someone else is now making them. Thank you either way.

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I hope that you do not mind me asking, and if you do please do not answer, but did you purchase that recently? I had seen them years back, but about two years ago when I went to purchase one, they seem to have gone out of business. I did not know if someone else is now making them. Thank you either way.
Are you referring to the new wall panels or the hanging feeder? There is a rescue in Tucson, AZ that sells the actual product of the feeder (shiny and beautiful) but they were out of stock when I wanted to buy it. I got the contact info for the builder but they never answered. I guess I got impatient and built it myself out of pvc, glue, and vet wrap. Turns out they just restocked the nice version of the feeder a few weeks ago. I am happy with the one I made though. It's late so please forgive me if that's not what you were referring to. :)

Btw the official hanging feeder was about 375$ but making my own was pretty cost-effective (only 100$ or so)

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you referring to the new wall panels or the hanging feeder? There is a rescue in Tucson, AZ that sells the actual product of the feeder (shiny and beautiful) but they were out of stock when I wanted to buy it. I got the contact info for the builder but they never answered. I guess I got impatient and built it myself out of pvc, glue, and vet wrap. Turns out they just restocked the nice version of the feeder a few weeks ago. I am happy with the one I made though. It's late so please forgive me if that's not what you were referring to. :)

Btw the official hanging feeder was about 375$ but making my own was pretty cost-effective (only 100$ or so)
I apologize for not being clearer. I meant the feeder. I contacted her about two years ago I believe, but received no response so I believe that she is no longer in business, but still keeps her page up. I know a few people over the internet who have purchased from her in the past, and could not be happier. I just waited too long it would seem. May I ask where you have seen them in stock?

Fluffaloo

Strolling the yard
I apologize for not being clearer. I meant the feeder. I contacted her about two years ago I believe, but received no response so I believe that she is no longer in business, but still keeps her page up. I know a few people over the internet who have purchased from her in the past, and could not be happier. I just waited too long it would seem. May I ask where you have seen them in stock?
Paradise Parrot Rescue. Keep an eye on their Facebook page to see when they go in stock. You can also message them, they are really nice.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!