• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Room Must Haves

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
This weekend, my ferrets are getting moved out of my spare room and I'm going to clean and paint it so I can move my birds in there. I have a screen door to put up so they can be out without having to worry about my dogs and cats.

For those of you have have your fids set up in their room, what items couldn't you do without or what do you wish you had? I'm on a budget so can't spend a lot of money at once but I can add items to my wishlist!

Edit by Nikki ~ We're sticking this thread due to all the good information. Just remember when you are putting together your bird room double check to make sure that what you use is in fact bird safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
1) Boings. They are absolutely necessary for fun playtime!
2) Electrical socket covers to help birdproof the room.
3) Window alerts
4) Cord covers for any light fixtures
5) Ceiling savers for anything else you'd be hanging! :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Off Topic :) I would use zero VOC paint and air the room out for several weeks before moving the birds in.

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
Thanks for the ideas so far and the reminder about the paint and airing the room out.

The room has a closet so lots of room to fill with bird toys. :) An air filter is on the wishlist (along with a Get-a Grip net and a TV with a video player). This room has a door that opens onto the first floor roof over my kitchen (not sure why that was done) and my big wish is to make a small bump out type aviary so the birds can get some direct sunlight. That dream is a long way down the road. In the mean time they'll be able to get some air and filtered sunlight when it warms up (the door is never used and I am going to make something so they can't get directly to the screen door when the wood door is opened so no worries about escape).

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I use shower boards and plastic runners over top of my carpet but some time this summer We'll be getting a piece of scrap linoleum the size of the room to lay over top of the carpet instead

the shower boards and plastic runners work great but the shower boards really aren't meant to walk on or have anything heavy on them so they've started to crack and we have clear tape over the cracks hoping they won't crack more LOL

The best shelving unit I found was at a "Flea market" type place here in town we were going to buy it from walmart but why spend close to $100.00 on it when we got 2 for $30.00 one is used in the birds room, One is in my Laundry room and I have parts 2 both in 2 other rooms my room being one of them its what the brooder sits on :), the other my son has one shelf in his room for his Doves cage

and they look like this
mine is a little different but same concept I have a grey/black set in the laundry room and my room and the tan set in the laundry room and one shelf(table) is in my sons room

on the shelves in the birds room we keep the food that we use daily - we've kept the food containers they came in from the store (the plastic ones with lids) our food is bought in bulk and kept in air tight plastic totes So what we use for the week/month etc is on this shelve, It also has my plastic drawer that holds my 5 pounds of cuttle bones, I stack my newspapers on here for cage liners, I have 2 hangers hanging off the top of it and those holds the dish holders that aren't being used

then i have something like this (i'll have to get the actual picture of mine) that holds all our extra dishes that aren't in use

I need to get the pics i just took of my birds room uploaded we moved stuff around the other day gave me some more space to move around :D

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
* $store shower curtains to cover things you don't want pooped on
* I got a folding banquet table ($40) and LOVE it! It's some place I can work when feeding, making toys, using my laptop, etc...
* Boings
* To hang things from the ceiling, since I live in an apartment and can't just poke holes wherever I want, I got 4 plant hooks(butterfly hooks) and hung plastic chain in between the hooks. Now I can hang toys from the chain without doing damage to my ceiling!
* Shelves
* Storage bins
* giant ice cream or kitty litter plastic containers (empty) for food and supplies (well cleaned with bleach and water and rinsed and dried for several days - make sure there are no bleach smell before placing food in them)
* radio/cd player/mp3 stereo
* phone
* swings
* something for the windows - be it a window perch or window clings - just something to let the birds know there is something there and to stop.

If I think of more I'll add it later :)

Hope this helps :)

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Some birds! (sorry, I couldn't resist.:p)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Boings
Hanging Play gyms
Mobile Play stands
Bird safe plants
Storage bins
easy to clean flooring
outlet covers
cord covers

oops, this is my wish list, lol

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
^^ all of the above plus an atom and many boings, large grape vine perches (for tops of cages and they make hanging ones too!)
Also wicker, and grass. Wicker baskets (nat) and small animal grass huts, etc. are really great shredders that are fun for them outside of the cage.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
All of the stuff above, plus climbing net, atom, microwave, refrigerator, hehe!

rocabird

Real Name
dawn
* To hang things from the ceiling, since I live in an apartment and can't just poke holes wherever I want, I got 4 plant hooks(butterfly hooks) and hung plastic chain in between the hooks. Now I can hang toys from the chain without doing damage to my ceiling!
This is a cool idea. While I own, I still like to not have a ton of little holes. Plus, this would really let you change things up.

Just look at pics of Saroj's bird room. That's all the stuff I wish I had. :hehe:
Her room is a dream! I keeping thinking someday if I ever get that little cottage in the country....

Some birds! (sorry, I couldn't resist.:p)
I don't know, with TV, stereo, a microwave and fridge, I might not want to share!:D

iluvsunconure

Real Name
Raymond :]
I have a question.....I have carpet in the "soon-to-be-bird-room". Do I still use it? Do I put like wood or something over it?

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I have a question.....I have carpet in the "soon-to-be-bird-room". Do I still use it? Do I put like wood or something over it?
every room i have birds in has carpet, in my birds room i put shower boards (found at almost all stores like Lowes, Home Depot If they sell showers/TUBS they should have it its the stuff that goes over the walls around showers/tubs to protect the walls from the water

Then where they stop (they only come so big) We put clear plastic runners (bought at the dollar store in the rug section) the carpet is now covered and protected and will look like it is still brand new when I move out (thats because it was brand new when I moved in and its been protected from day 1 so it'll still actually be brand new no one has walked on it w/out it being covered lol)

in the other rooms I have a piece of shower board under the cage/s in my room i have no plastic runners But when I move the cages around to vacuum my floor and lift up the shower board and stand back - You can tell where the cages were even after i sweep - because the open area where no cages are get traveled alot (normally bare foot but still its a high traffic area) so where the cage has been it looks like new carpet while the rest is old LOL)

in the living room its similar to the birds room there are 2 cages in there so one piece of shower board and then there is plastic runners taped around it

here are a few pics of my birds room - its hard to get the entire room in one pic, but you can see the floor covering in them (these are older pics the floor still looks the same but cages have been moved around and I don't have any stacked on top of one another any more - that was only because my female lovebird kept attacking her mate and she plucked him so he needed a cage of his own til he grew his feathers back and she cooled off)

andor

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Matt
This room has a door that opens onto the first floor roof over my kitchen (not sure why that was done)
waaaaayyyy off-topic, but if you have an older home (pre-1930 or so) this was likely a sleeping porch at one time if your kitchen is not on the road-side of the house (or if your house is set far back from the road)

KatieWeldon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Katie
They make these clear really thick plastic boards that are made to go under a desk for teachers. We have them under our birds cages are they are so wonderful! They come in all sizes. I have one downstairs now that is the size of my room lol. My mom works in a school so when they get new ones people just throw the old ones away! So she brings them home. They are super easy to clean and you can take them outside and pressure wash them. They save your carpets big time! And my mom has been using the same one now for 6 years with no cracks. Sorry, but I have no idea where you actually buy them but I am sure if you call some local schools and ask if they would donate them to you when they are done with them, they probably would!