• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Room Must Haves

ScottRoberts

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Scott Roberts
I am just starting to build my bird room and love all the ideas. Thank you so much. I went to home depot and got the cheapest laminate flooring I bought enough to do the whole room we laid it in a day no nails and can be taken up an moved. really super easy to clean. I love the hooks and chain idea and now I need a good idea for keeping the wood work from getting eaten up... hahaha. I'm going to be watching thiis thread. It couldnt have come at a better time for me and the fids.

brittneydee

Jogging around the block
I love the idea of putting down shower wall panels and/or plastic carpet protectors! We are replacing the flooring in our home this spring and we have been arguing about whether to go all hardwood or put new carpeting in the bedrooms. We don't have an extra room for a dedicated bird room, so Pelphrey's play area is in our bedroom. I was in favor of all wood because I didn't want the new carpet ruined by bird poop. Now we can have the comfort of carpet without the worries! Thank you!

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
I sure wish i could resolve my floor mess. We just removed the carpets in the bird room and put a dark tile that looks like real wood but oh boy what a mess to keep it clean.
Constant dust and streaks. I am now using old sheets on the floor wish has to be washed every so many days.
I sure wish someone can resolve this or come up with some better ideas

Tatum

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tatum
I sure wish i could resolve my floor mess. We just removed the carpets in the bird room and put a dark tile that looks like real wood but oh boy what a mess to keep it clean.
Constant dust and streaks. I am now using old sheets on the floor wish has to be washed every so many days.
I sure wish someone can resolve this or come up with some better ideas

This isn't super Eco friendly but it saves time and marriage arguments at my house. Our bird room is 9X12 so we buy painters plastic at Home Depot. It comes in all size but the have 9x12 roll for $4. All we do is gather up the edges of the old plastic and throw it away and just lay down a nice piece. My floors stay brilliantly clean.

Vickiesbirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
Light colored walls (good quality paint that can withstand wiping and cleaning)- I find that lighter colored walls tend to clean up easier and are repaired/patched up more easily.

Linoleum flooring- Do not have this where I keep my birds, but this would be my ideal flooring choice. Simple and easy to mop and wipe.

A nice play gym or climbing tree if you don't have playtop style cages.

Toys hanging from the ceiling: boings, other ropes, ladder style toys, etc.

A small TV or radio for when you're not around to keep the birds stimulated.

Wall shelves to store food and treats in sealed containers.

msnovtue

Meeting neighbors
A newbie here, but I'd add my $.02:

If you have hard floors (or a reasonable facsimile thereor), a robotic vacuum clearner (i.e. roomba). They're not as loud as most "regular" vacuum cleaners, and they can go under cages easily and work great for the daily tossed food & toy bits. Well worth every cent for daily cleanup.

blueyez49423

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Caroline
I third that! I'd love a carpet free floor too. Some days I'm tempted just to rip it all out and have concrete

Adinah

Meeting neighbors
So many awesome ideas here! Thank you :D
Currently turning a guest room into a bird room for our G2 (we rarely get guests so it's all his now!)

I have a question about a bird room:

Supervision...if we bird proof everything possible, how safe is it to have him out unsupervised? I'm not talking all day, but just to get him more adventurous. Right now it's "if I'm out of the cage, I'm clinging to mom and dad". I would love for him to play and be a bit more independent (at least so I can make dinner without him flying onto the food).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So many awesome ideas here! Thank you :D
Currently turning a guest room into a bird room for our G2 (we rarely get guests so it's all his now!)

I have a question about a bird room:

Supervision...if we bird proof everything possible, how safe is it to have him out unsupervised? I'm not talking all day, but just to get him more adventurous. Right now it's "if I'm out of the cage, I'm clinging to mom and dad". I would love for him to play and be a bit more independent (at least so I can make dinner without him flying onto the food).

Thanks in advance!
Honestly if I had just Jingo and Koopa, I'd let them be cage free unsupervised all the time. Having Gizmo though, its too dangerous without a 2nd bird room or way of separating

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have a web camera in my bird room, so I can let the foster conures and Jasper play relatively unsupervised. I am always close enough to intervene if needed. Josie and Marshall are never in the room during independent play time of the smaller birds because of size differences. They have a separate play area. Josie ALWAYS has to be supervised. She gets into a lot of trouble.

Honestly, the best thing I ever put in the bird room was the camera. I use it every day and it gives the smaller birds a bit more independence. Plus I can check it remotely when I'm not home or on vacation.

Adinah

Meeting neighbors
I have a web camera in my bird room, so I can let the foster conures and Jasper play relatively unsupervised. I am always close enough to intervene if needed. Josie and Marshall are never in the room during independent play time of the smaller birds because of size differences. They have a separate play area. Josie ALWAYS has to be supervised. She gets into a lot of trouble.

Honestly, the best thing I ever put in the bird room was the camera. I use it every day and it gives the smaller birds a bit more independence. Plus I can check it remotely when I'm not home or on vacation.
Thank you very much!

Brianjaykay

Meeting neighbors
They make these clear really thick plastic boards that are made to go under a desk for teachers. We have them under our birds cages are they are so wonderful! They come in all sizes. I have one downstairs now that is the size of my room lol. My mom works in a school so when they get new ones people just throw the old ones away! So she brings them home. They are super easy to clean and you can take them outside and pressure wash them. They save your carpets big time! And my mom has been using the same one now for 6 years with no cracks. Sorry, but I have no idea where you actually buy them but I am sure if you call some local schools and ask if they would donate them to you when they are done with them, they probably would!
They do sell these at Office Depot, Staples, and so on. They are a bit on the expensive side though.

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Great ideas! I think I have convinced hubby to let me turn one of the spare bedrooms into a bird room. I am so excited. I think the linoleum is a great idea, and more sturdy than the carpet runners we use in other rooms. I would love to be able to let one of the birds play in the bird room and one in my bedroom, which is basically a bird room too. Then they would get more out of cage time. The camera is brilliant, then I can check on them through my phone! Super easy.

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
AHHHH I see what those shower boards are now! We put those up on all the walls in our utility room where the cats stay at night (granted they might be waterproof but they aren't necessarily cat pee proof). Not a bad idea and might just be cheaper to put these down instead of tearing out the carpet and replacing it.

Right now I have those plastic mats that offices use for chairs to go on as Katie suggested. They DO get large indentations in them from the cage wheels but they work at protecting the carpet.

I've been getting shower curtain rings to hold toys up in the closet with also!

Abigail

Avenue Veteran
This is a great thread! I wish I could have a bird room...

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
Great thread! I am just now starting to plan out the bird room, using a room that needs to be redone completely. (Even down to scraping old paint off the walls and repainting it.) I ordered some toys and a cargo net yesterday, so starting to collect items! Thanks for the ideas!

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I really like the idea of those shower panels to cover the ground around the cages. 6 birds make an awfully big mess

Glacier313

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Liana
My bird room isn't really a "room", more or so a space opening form a hallway. I would love a downstairs bird room with a screen door and lot's of windows to let in sunlight.