• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird room - breeding - bird safety

Danisaur

Meeting neighbors
Hi friends!

I apologize now if this is longer. But I would appreciate some help!

I am new to breeding, and I am a little nervous to post this since I do not want backlash. - But it is for the safety of my birds and chicks so here it goes:

I have a bird room where my two breeding cockatiels (just laid first egg) and my two breeding Budgies (have had one clutch) have free roam. - they have their own cages, but they are never closed.

I just moved my cockatiels in there, and they are getting along famously with my budgies. They were all in the same space before so they know eachother well.

a few months ago my budgies has their first clutch. And I made a huge rookie mistake that honestly haunts me.. I had a third female budgie with my pair. She was my hens sister, and I got them together years ago before I got the cock. She had her own cage separate from my pair but as I said- they had free roam of the room... one morning both chicks were dead. The one hen got jealous and killed them...

That hen is now in a different, very loving home. So I only have my breeding pair left.

now my concern is, now that my cockatiels are starting to lay, should I be concerned of my budgies getting jealous and harming my cockatiels eggs or chicks?

my breeding budgies have never shown aggression towards any of my other birds, or even their own chicks. But after what happened to their sweet babies, I want to make sure something like that never happens again.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I am also open to any breeding advice not related to my query.

Thank you

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name