• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-Related Stress

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Before I start, I wanna say a couple of things. First off, I adore my sweet feather baby and I don't want anyone to think that I don't. Second, I'm sorry if this isn't the right place for this!

So recently I've been wanting to get a bigger cage for Chirp, because I can't have more than what I consider the minimum (4 perches, food and water bowls, cuttlebone and holder, 2 toys, and his swing that's just like the one he was sitting on in the store when I took him under my wing (bird humor!).) in there at once. One of the local pet stores that isn't a huge chain has a big flight cage with proper bar spacing. I'm planning to get that one, if my dad agrees with my plan.

Now, I'm something of a perfectionist, I have very little patience, and I get stressed out very easily. All this adds up to a recipe for disaster. All this planning and prep has been stressing me out. I love my feather baby, and I want what's best for him. I gotta admit, sometimes it can be stressful. But knowing how much happier he'll be in that huge cage makes all this stress worth it.

How do you deal with bird-related stress?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Do you work out? If not you should. Releases all kinds of soothing endorphins.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Bird snuggles. Sometimes I too get caught up in the "I need to have this so they'll be happy" and go in research mode, but thus creates a little less time out of the cage cuz I've got my face stuck in the computer.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Do you work out? If not you should. Releases all kinds of soothing endorphins.
I don't really work out as much as I should. I do like to go walking from time to time, usually around stores and stuff. I'll try it out though.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Try simple stretching and yoga. I YouTube videos like that to help because I get stressed out very easily. Bird cuddles and snuggling in the bed with my dogs and a good book or movie helps as well :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If you like to walk, try walking somewhere in nature if your able. This can really relieve stress, especially if it's by the sound of running water.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
I don't really work out as much as I should. I do like to go walking from time to time, usually around stores and stuff. I'll try it out though.
Birds are indeed stressful.
I have anxiety and I have learned to overcome it with mental force and exercise. You are obviously still young, and it may take you a while to get there. Do your parents know you have anxiety?
My dad is a psychologist and he taught me about "mindful breathing" which has been shown to reduce anxiety. You might google it.
I also find that HARD exercise helps. I need to work out hard enough so that my brain stops spinning at night.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Birds are indeed stressful.
I have anxiety and I have learned to overcome it with mental force and exercise. You are obviously still young, and it may take you a while to get there. Do your parents know you have anxiety?
My dad is a psychologist and he taught me about "mindful breathing" which has been shown to reduce anxiety. You might google it.
I also find that HARD exercise helps. I need to work out hard enough so that my brain stops spinning at night.
Yeah, my dad knows. I've found out that sunlight helps a lot, and I haven't gone a single day in the last 6 months without opening the blinds. I've also learned that watching the fish is pretty calming, too (I have 3 tanks).

Side note: Jeez, I didn't realize I sounded so young! I mean, I'm a minor, but I figured I sounded a little older than that!

Last edited by a moderator:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Side note: Jeez, I didn't realize I sounded so young! I mean, I'm a minor, but I figured I sounded a little older than that!
When you get to be our age, anyone under 40 sounds "young".

The deep breathing is something I've recently discovered. Amazing how well that works.

I'm the least stressed out guy anyone knows. Just born that way I guess.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Yeah, my dad knows. I've found out that sunlight helps a lot, and I haven't gone a single day in the last 6 months without opening the blinds. I've also learned that watching the fish is pretty calming, too (I have 3 tanks).

I'm 48. Anyone under 30 is young to my ancient self!! I actually think you sound very self aware and mature for a minor!!

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Wish I was 48 again....