• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird poop changes colour and shape after eating chop!

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
So I have been transitioning my 5 month green cheek conure to chop. He has finally started eating it! Sadly, I notice his droppings has become a thin red/brown ish colour with a lot of liquid! I do not know if this is normal. He gets chop in the morning and pellet that he has been weaned on for the rest of the day. Once I put the pellets in, his poop goes back to a normal shape, consistency and colour. I'll attach a photo of his poop. I want to note that his usual/pellet poop is a light green colour with minimal urine and a white urate.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What goes in must come out :) chop has more moisture, so more moisture in the droppings is normal. And the color of what they eat can be represented in their droppings too.

Sounds totally normal to me!

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
Diet greatly influences their poop!! My girls love carrots and sweet peppers...which leaves their poop red/orange for a while (which could be concerning if I didn't know what they just ate!). As long as the poop gets back to normal (before too long), the change is most likely due to the chop. And as @Mizzely just said, what goes in must come out!!
Green cheeks are such awesome birds!! :heart:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
+1 to what the others have said. Looks like normal veggie poop to me too.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much guys! I was quite worried....