• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird obsessed with cats??

FlappyMan

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello! I’m new here but I thought I’d ask around since no where else seems to have any info, I have a barraband parakeet named Mango and since the day I’ve brought him home he’s had this sort of weird almost obsession with the cats?? If he hears them meowing in the hallway or someone bothering them then he’ll almost immediately start screaming (maybe it’s because of the noise but he only mimics a soft bark when my dog is barking his head off and it’s like an ear piercing scream w/ the cats), he’s only ever seen them through the cage and while they have stuck their paws in out of curiosity he’s bitten/nipped them to show he doesn’t like that. So now whenever they come in my room and sit and observe him he’ll put on a dance for them and whatnot (Idk how else to describe it) and becomes kinda sad when they leave, is this normal?? He doesn’t show this kind of behaviour with my dog or with anyone else in the family only the cats ( sorry if it’s confusing I can provide more details if needed)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think it's a weird obsession; it's because Mango realizes they're cats. Sticking paws through cages ought not to be allowed, even if Mango stands his ground & nips. That actually sounds dangerous. If Mango's within nipping distance, the cats are within striking distance. Never underestimate a feline. I would keep the cats out of whatever room Mango's in.

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Strange!! I have no idea what that's all about.....At my grandparent's house my bird will get super happy when the dogs bark at her (and she's in her cage wayyyyyy up high) because she's proud that she's so much taller and better than them :roflmao: But your bird sounds very funny! I have no idea what that could be!

However I would not let any cats get that close - even the bacteria in their claws and saliva can be bad for birds!! So make sure to give them some distance :)

Reactions: mak

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Sounds like a disaster ready to happen at any moment.

Reactions: mak

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I very much doubt it's a happy dance.
It's more likely a stress and fear reaction in having predators staring at him.
The sadness I doubt is really sadness. It's likely a let down of the stress he was in.
Birds instinctively know cats are deadly.
And allowing them to reach for him through the bars, he must never feel safe and secure. :(

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
I think your bird is trying to protect itself, it knows it can't run away (as he is stuck in a cage when the cats are in the room) so he puts on a territorial dance, trying to intimidate the cats not to mess with him. You can see this in a lot of prey animals when the option to flee is unavailable.
My budgie also screams if he ever hears the cats (he only has heard them twice maybe) and I know its because he's scared, so I shoo the cats away from my bedroom door. My budgie will never actually see the cats though, and I don't think yours should either.

I know how hard it is to believe people online, we don't know your cat, but even if you trust your cat not to hurt him your cat can hurt your budgie on accident. Cat saliva is so toxic to budgies, and one scratch can kill them. Please keep them in separate rooms, and not just away from the cage. Cats are fast, it only takes one second for the cat to bolt away from you and thrash at your budgie

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My bird screams his head off and moves excitedly about when a stray cat sits on the fence outside or on my window sill.
He panics bad and seriously alarm calls for me- people who dont know him and understand his behaviour like I do tend to think he’s playing up to the cat and either enjoying its company or trying to stir it up because he’s so crazy excited.
Usually when I manage to shoo the cat away and get straight to my bird to let him know he’s safe he looks so tired and worn out because his little heart is beating so fast it’s like he’s just spent the last twenty minutes flying vigorously around the room, he’s overly stressed and very relieved the cat is gone but he’s on edge and ready to flee if he has to. This behaviour seems to be misunderstood more often than not by others who seem to think it’s a bit cute till I explain how hard and fast his heart is beating. Birds know cats are dangerous to them and that they’re best to stay away from them- nature is amazing in that respect.
The cat that frightens my bird is not mine and is only ever seen from across the other side of the room, the cat is outside the house and my bird is big enough to defend himself to some tiny degree against a cat the size of the one that is checking him out. I’d never ever be comfortable seeing any cat close to my bird given their nature and tendency to carry bacteria that is highly dangerous and deadly to birds.

FlappyMan

Checking out the neighborhood
I think your bird is trying to protect itself, it knows it can't run away (as he is stuck in a cage when the cats are in the room) so he puts on a territorial dance, trying to intimidate the cats not to mess with him. You can see this in a lot of prey animals when the option to flee is unavailable.
My budgie also screams if he ever hears the cats (he only has heard them twice maybe) and I know its because he's scared, so I shoo the cats away from my bedroom door. My budgie will never actually see the cats though, and I don't think yours should either.

I know how hard it is to believe people online, we don't know your cat, but even if you trust your cat not to hurt him your cat can hurt your budgie on accident. Cat saliva is so toxic to budgies, and one scratch can kill them. Please keep them in separate rooms, and not just away from the cage. Cats are fast, it only takes one second for the cat to bolt away from you and thrash at your budgie

Hm I didn’t even think that it might’ve been a territorial dance since he always seemed to just leave (as in going to a different part of the cage) and ignoring them when he got bored but I do keep him in a separate room from my cats and they’re only inside if I’m in there with them usually it’s when I’m cleaning or airing out my room, thank you for the insight!! (And I have two of them that’s why I was curious since he does it for only one of them and not the other so I thought he’d developed some kind of liking towards her)