• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird not going in its new cage.

CometTheConure

Moving in
Hi there, this is my first post so sorry if its in the wrong section.
I just got home my GCC Comet and he is refusing to go from the carrier into his cage. I have put his carrier in the cage, allowing him to come out on his own but that doesn't seem to be working. I have handled him when I got him but now it seems he's scared of my hand and even Nutriberries+Millet. It's been like this for over 2 hours now and hes still not out. Any advice on what to do? Thanks.

Last edited:

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Welcome!

How about leaving some treats (millet). Your place is very new, so he is scared. I didn't have these issues with my two birds when I got them, but once they were in the cage they didn't want to leave.

Give him time and he will come out.

CometTheConure

Moving in
Welcome!

How about leaving some treats (millet). Your place is very new, so he is scared. I didn't have these issues with my two birds when I got them, but once they were in the cage they didn't want to leave.

Thanks for the advice, I have already laid millet leading out of the carrier so hopefully he will want to eat it xD but atm i think your right that he's scared as hes not moving a muscle but i'll be patient. Thanks.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Welcome!

Agreed. It's quite a traumatic experience moving to a new cage in a new house. Leave the carrier in the cage with a few treats close by and leave him to it. Don't sit too close waiting for him, that can be stressful in itself (predator behaviour).

CometTheConure

Moving in
Agreed. It's quite a traumatic experience moving to a new cage in a new house. Leave the carrier in the cage with a few treats close by and leave him to it. Don't sit too close waiting for him, that can be stressful in itself (predator behaviour).
Right thanks. I'll add few more treats and defo not sit right next to him (thats what ive mainly been doing oops). Thanks for the advice :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I just got home my GCC Comet and he is refusing to go from the carrier into his cage
Is this day one?

I have put his carrier in the cage, allowing him to come out on his own but that doesn't seem to be working.
If the carrier is securely in the cage, I would leave him like that and he will come out eventually. Tomorrow, remove the carrier.

Don't sit too close waiting for him, that can be stressful in itself (predator behaviour).
Exactly

Congratualtions on your feathered friend,
Welcome to the forum :)

CometTheConure

Moving in
Is this day one?

If the carrier is securely in the cage, I would leave him like that and he will come out eventually. Tomorrow, remove the carrier.

Exactly

Congratualtions on your feathered friend,
Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks. Yes this is currently day one (after a 3hr drive) Unfortunately the cage is right next to my bed but I'll follow your advice and be patient. Thanks again.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
If he is weaned he will be ok in there. It is a big change. Most birds get very quiet when they arrive in their new homes.
Wow that´s quite the drive. My friend took 2 of my chicks, and they drove 2 hours away down the coast, and they were very quiet and shy/scared for the first evening but were happy, active and adventurous on the next day.

Next to the bed is an odd choice of place to house a bird, was there a reason? I´m just curious.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes m too, why is the cage by your bed? Be to be in room where most of family activity happens. You can partially cover the cage and have a night light on. He does not know who you are or where he is. Except for feeding leave him be for a day or two.

CometTheConure

Moving in
If he is weaned he will be ok in there. It is a big change. Most birds get very quiet when they arrive in their new homes.
Wow that´s quite the drive. My friend took 2 of my chicks, and they drove 2 hours away down the coast, and they were very quiet and shy/scared for the first evening but were happy, active and adventurous on the next day.

Next to the bed is an odd choice of place to house a bird, was there a reason? I´m just curious.
I placed it next to the bed because I spend most of my time in my bedroom. I left it alone for the first day. Its now the second day and he's still inside the carrier. I'll leave him for another day :)

CometTheConure

Moving in

There is a picture of the current layout :)

Attachments

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There is a picture of the current layout :)
I was going to ask you to make sure he's not trapped in any way, but I see from the pic he's fine.
Do you have any small bowls, ramekins are ideal. Place a bowl of seed and one of water right in front of the carrier and leave the room for a couple of hours. Go and visit a friend or something. I have a cage that's very similar and he can't see what's in those stainless bowls half way up the cage.

*edit*
Conure's love fruit, especially soft berries. Can you put some paper over the grid at the bottom of the cage. He may never have seen that before and be scared by not having a flat surface to walk on.
I have a cage with very similar design. Can you remove that grill and slide the tray in the grill's slot?

Last edited:

CometTheConure

Moving in
Hi there, this is my first post so sorry if its in the wrong section.
I just got home my GCC Comet and he is refusing to go from the carrier into his cage. I have put his carrier in the cage, allowing him to come out on his own but that doesn't seem to be working. I have handled him when I got him but now it seems he's scared of my hand and even Nutriberries+Millet. It's been like this for over 2 hours now and hes still not out. Any advice on what to do? Thanks.
Update: The bird is in the cage :D
I took the carrier and placed it near to the food bowl, assuming it was hungry and Result!
I was going to ask you to make sure he's not trapped in any way, but I see from the pic he's fine.
Do you have any small bowls, ramekins are ideal. Place a bowl of seed and one of water right in front of the carrier and leave the room for a couple of hours. Go and visit a friend or something. I have a cage that's very similar and he can't see what's in those stainless bowls half way up the cage.

*edit*
Conure's love fruit, especially soft berries. Can you put some paper over the grid at the bottom of the cage. He may never have seen that before and be scared by not having a flat surface to walk on.
I have a cage with very similar design. Can you remove that grill and slide the tray in the grill's slot?
Hi there! Thanks for the advice. I haven't given him fruit just yet but I'll chop some up right now and place it in his bowl. He's a bit scared of my hand and millet but that's probably because he's new. I don't think the breeder introduced him to millet and nutriberries :(. Maybe he'll take a liking to fruit though :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Update: The bird is in the cage
That´s good news :)

Now that he´s out of the carrier, talk to him throughout the day. And spend some time near the cage (not sat staring at him, maybe read a book or something)

He's a bit scared of my hand and millet
Tip: With Nube and Lapis, I didn´t use millet onthe sprig to wean, I don´t know why. And when I went to introduce it to them later when they were a few moths old they would be scared of the whole thing. Chop it up into chunks 1-2inches long. It worked a charm for me :)

CometTheConure

Moving in

Now that he´s out of the carrier, talk to him throughout the day. And spend some time near the cage (not sat staring at him, maybe read a book or something)

Tip: With Nube and Lapis, I didn´t use millet onthe sprig to wean, I don´t know why. And when I went to introduce it to them later when they were a few moths old they would be scared of the whole thing. Chop it up into chunks 1-2inches long. It worked a charm for me :)
Thanks a lot :D. He's staying on one perch and scared of my hand xD(i.e. moving away from it if it gets too close) but I'm talking to him and he seems to be moving a little bit :D.

CometTheConure

Moving in

UPDATE 2: Comet has finally eaten after 1 day :D, with me right next to him. He's still fearful of my hand though but is fine if it is on the perch below him, not just on/ nearby the same perch he's on xD. Hopefully moving closer day by day will help him :)