• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Mites

Norbert

Moving in
Real Name
Norbert
Greetings, I have just joined because I have a major problem with what seems to be bird mites attacking my African Grey child Hugo, whom I have had for 15 years since he was one year old. He keeps preening. Has only been for a few weeks now. I googled and believe a product called Ivermectin liquid can be added to his drinking water about 2-3 drops every few days. Does anyone know where I could buy this product and how to dilute it and how much to add ? Would really appreciate any advice.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Giving ivermectin in the drinking water can easily kill a bird.
Has your grey been diagnosed with mites? If not your best bet is to consult your vet. They'll provide you with the correct strength of ivermectin and dosage.

:welave:

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
I'll Echo Ripshod -- The final treatment might be just that simple, and Ivermectin is very effective when dosed properly, but you're MUCH better off getting the Vet to double-check Hugo.

They will get you the right concentration of the right treatment for the right problem. It's just way too easy to get it wrong and the results go from near miraculous to completely devastating.

Norbert

Moving in
Real Name
Norbert
Thanks, which vet would you recommend near Gardens Centre Cape Town and where would one be able to buy ivermectin liquid anyway ? What do avan vets charge ? Thanks in advance.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
SA, I take it?

Hate to say, but 1/3 the world away, I don't have an informed recommendation. Google popped up with about 4 listings in Cape town who specifically have an avian vet on staff, but I can't say if they are any good, nor how much they will charge, just that they claim to be qualified.

Here in the US, the visit fee itself can vary wildly from vet-to-vet and wouldn't correlate to your costs anyways. That being said, most vet offices would be happy to quote you the expected base checkup cost with the understanding that any tests and treatments would be extra. Simple tests and treatments are generally inexpensive, more complex ones not so much. If it is indeed mites, a quick sample and glance in a microscope will confirm they are present -- pretty simple. If it's not, it will depend on what the vet finds at each step, but that's a good thing -- the vet is dealing with the real problem, not the one you thought you had.

As for supplies, I know Ivermectin can be purchased online in various formats, and is fairly shelf-stable, but I'd be shocked if any vet office pretty much anywhere in the world didn't have some among their on-hand supply. It is so ubiquitous, functional and cheap that there are claims it has even driven a few used-to-be-common parasite species to extinction. Even if they don't have it, they'll know the local places you can pick it up.

To give you context . . . When our conure (and a friend's budgie we were bird-sitting) had to go in for mites, the visit was short and relatively inexpensive -- base cost for the visit, nothing for the test (covered in the checkup) and a nominal fee for the one dose of Ivermectin for each bird, which was topically applied. We also picked up a pyrethrin cage spray specifically diluted for birds that they recommended to drive off the mites. The behavior changed within the hour and the problems fully went away in a few days. Again, near miraculous, but if I'd skipped the vet, wandered down to the local farm supply store and bought the horse-and-cattle version, the story probably would not have ended well.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Irishj9 may know of a veterinarian.