• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Mite?

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
I have a fellow FB "friend" that needs help identifying a bird mite. She just got a 4 month old love bird. While interacting, she noticed little long mites on her bird. She is looking for answers and thought I'd turn to you guys!

What is it and how can she get rid if them?

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
No clue...and Eww...reminds me of head lice...

:::starts scratching:::

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
The only bird mites I have actually seen (not on my birds, thankfully) looked like red specks to the naked eye. Too small to identify shape.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hmm..I know that Susanne has made posts on AA on how to eliminate this. It is something you put under the wing..Let me do some looking. BRB

Last edited:

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
WHY did I have to look at the pictures? Now I'm all itchy! Good information to keep on hand! (Pray that my crew doesn't get them) Bad enough I have those *&^%$#!#$%^&* pantry moths thanks to the seed for the hamsters my kids had! I have those tents to attract them but still see them around and the seed is kept frozen until it goes to the fridge!

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
WHY did I have to look at the pictures? Now I'm all itchy! Good information to keep on hand! (Pray that my crew doesn't get them) Bad enough I have those *&^%$#!#$%^&* pantry moths thanks to the seed for the hamsters my kids had! I have those tents to attract them but still see them around and the seed is kept frozen until it goes to the fridge!
omg we got these moths a few months back and it took FOREVER to get rid of them! We think they must've gotten here in bird seed or something but we threw all the food away, threw the wood shavings away (my aunt uses non dusty shavings for her bird cages), and then super cleaned the cages and house. It was terrible! Ugh. Super cleaning a couple times ultimately killed them all. I told her to wash the house all off with vinegar water and let her borrow mine lol. Good luck with those :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
This usually does not happen with birds kept indoors. It can, but generally the bird has been kept outside, on a porch, or exposed to another bird from outside.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had a ‘tiel baby (who happened to be a Whiteface Lutino, she was pure white) who was full of red mites, it was very easy to see them due to her being white, I think they came from the nest-boxes, my friend took the baby, and treated her, she was mite free in no time.

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
I haven't gotten an update from her to see how her birdie is doing, hopefully she is being treated.

That's terrible! I hope I never have to deal with any type of mite or illness with my babies.