• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-Loving Roommate(s)

vani

Moving in
Hello again cool friends of avian avenue!!! Hopefully this is the right place to ask this question.

I need to move out, but my lovie is priority number one. I could afford to live in an apartment alone with him, but I worry about the noise he may make. He's definitely not the loudest, especially not at odd hours at night, but I'm sure he can be to others. And moving so quickly twice in a row would stress the baby out so much, so I cannot test the waters unfortunately!

My question is, how would I even begin to look for a roommate who likes birds, or maybe even loves them? I work from home, so I give my lovie a lot of my time, and could maybe even give a new roommate's bird(ies) love and attention when they're out. Is living in an apartment with a lovie/any birdie actually more doable than I think it is?

Thank you for the help everyone! Any and all advice is welcome.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
I would try i asking friends if they know of anyone. Remember every bird is different and he might react a certain way in a new environment. @Zara @Emma&pico

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
One lovebird would be apartment friendly not too loud but three (mine) are now very noisy two wasnt too bad but three as upped the game in the noise department lol

vani

Moving in
I would try i asking friends if they know of anyone. Remember every bird is different and he might react a certain way in a new environment.
Definitely! I have a year or so buffer to make sure the arrangement I can find is suitable for me :D

One lovebird would be apartment friendly not too loud but three (mine) are now very noisy two wasnt too bad but three as upped the game in the noise department lol
Bahaha! I can definitely see (and hear!) that, three is a crowd after-all :laugh: But that is very good to know! I'll definitely keep an eye out for apartments too. I know a few friends who are renting out units, maybe I can twist their arm a little ;)

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Definitely! I have a year or so buffer to make sure the arrangement I can find is suitable for me :D

Bahaha! I can definitely see (and hear!) that, three is a crowd after-all :laugh: But that is very good to know! I'll definitely keep an eye out for apartments too. I know a few friends who are renting out units, maybe I can twist their arm a little ;)
mates rates haha:angelic: have you got any pictures of your lovebird

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
I had Walter in various apartments for many years. If you can, you might ask for an apartment that is at the end instead of sandwiched between two others for noise control. As far as room mates, You may have luck looking around a college or university if there is one close by. Perhaps advertising in the biology department.

vani

Moving in
I had Walter in various apartments for many years. If you can, you might ask for an apartment that is at the end instead of sandwiched between two others for noise control. As far as room mates, You may have luck looking around a college or university if there is one close by. Perhaps advertising in the biology department.
Oh wow I never thought to try and do that, even though it makes a ton of sense bahaha. Will do that ASAP, thank you so much :yah:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh wow I never thought to try and do that, even though it makes a ton of sense bahaha. Will do that ASAP, thank you so much :yah:
I'd be 100% honest up front when advertising for a roommate. You'll need to find someone who is okay with not just the noise, but not being able to use scented cleaners/incense/nonstick cookware/etc (which, IMO, is a harder sell than just dealing with some squawking. I know for me, the hardest part about having birds is not getting to enjoy incense and scented candles). There are bird-friendly folks out there - just have to find the right match.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Besides, asking around, you can also look on websites that are specifically for finding roommates and making sure that putting in there someone who loves birds is a must.

If nothing else, what about seeing if you can find a end unit townhouse or an apartment that’s in the top corner?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Of course!!! He just took a shower and is preening on my hand, so an exclusive latest update pic for the board :D

View attachment 415729

If you want a GOOD picture of him, it might be difficult. He's adorable, but never behaves in the pictures I try to snap of him :p
hes gorgeous