• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird lost his bottom beak

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
He can also eat soft foods like cheese. Less than one week after the accident he’s basically fine other than the fact that he can’t eat hard foods anymore and I have to cut it up but at least my little boy is alive :)

Attachments

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Many years ago we visited an aviary that had a lot of different species of birds. The smaller species were in one aviary & larger species in a 2nd aviary. The smaller aviary had a bird that had lost it's bottom beak in a fight. I watched it eating seeds. I was cracking them with it's tongue.

There is no telling, for now, if your bird will ever be able to crack seeds again. For now I would suggest you mince or puree veggies & fruits. I have a Ninja Express mini food chopper. You can chop or mince veggies, fruits, nuts, pellets & other foods & even puree them. The unit is electric & works via a manual press button, so you can control how small you chop or mince by pressing the button. The Ninja mini chopper is a 2 cup unit that is easy to use, comes with a lid to store left over in frig, is easy to clean. Caution when handling the blade as it's very sharp. I've had mine for many years. Got mine at Walmart, but they sell them on line & at many stores. The price varies depending on where you buy. I got mine for around $20.00 several plus years ago. It's a great little chopper. If you have to mince/chop foods for a long time for your bird I'd suggest this chopper. FYI: I am not affiliated with this company in any way. Just love this food chopper.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Oh you have done wonderful in saving him! I'm so happy he is starting to eat things on his own.

Continue to watch weight, and work on getting balanced nutrition into him .

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I have been following this post and I think you are doing a wonderful job with your baby! He is so beautiful and the most current image (above), looks to me like he is getting along just fine. He knows he is loved and safe! Keep up the great work. I wish your little guy a healthy and happy future! Best Regards, Joanne!

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Oh you have done wonderful in saving him! I'm so happy he is starting to eat things on his own.

Continue to watch weight, and work on getting balanced nutrition into him .
Thank you for all your replies!
Yes he’s doing very well and he has actually gone up in weight. I crush his food for him and he’s good to go. Maybe one day he will learn to eat seeds I hope but he’s heavier than he was before :)

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Many years ago we visited an aviary that had a lot of different species of birds. The smaller species were in one aviary & larger species in a 2nd aviary. The smaller aviary had a bird that had lost it's bottom beak in a fight. I watched it eating seeds. I was cracking them with it's tongue.

There is no telling, for now, if your bird will ever be able to crack seeds again. For now I would suggest you mince or puree veggies & fruits. I have a Ninja Express mini food chopper. You can chop or mince veggies, fruits, nuts, pellets & other foods & even puree them. The unit is electric & works via a manual press button, so you can control how small you chop or mince by pressing the button. The Ninja mini chopper is a 2 cup unit that is easy to use, comes with a lid to store left over in frig, is easy to clean. Caution when handling the blade as it's very sharp. I've had mine for many years. Got mine at Walmart, but they sell them on line & at many stores. The price varies depending on where you buy. I got mine for around $20.00 several plus years ago. It's a great little chopper. If you have to mince/chop foods for a long time for your bird I'd suggest this chopper. FYI: I am not affiliated with this company in any way. Just love this food chopper.
I chop it up for him by hand everytime I eat something and he flies right up and grabs it from me. I’m sticking with the Harrison’s mash as his main food but maybe I can blend his favorite foods once in a while and change it up