• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird lost his bottom beak

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
We don’t know what happened but I’m pretty sure he was at the top of the door and one of the kids closed the door while he was on top. Anyways we are devastated. Took him to the vet and ran us up almost $2000 but we love him so it’s totally worth it. We haven’t seen him back yet but the dr said he lost most of his bottom jaw and a little piece of the base shows in the x ray. He is still in the hospital but we can’t stop worrying or crying over him. He’s 16 months old here is a picture of what happened to him. Will his beak grow back? What’s the chance of his beak growing back? Dr said its most likely not going to but I’ve read posts on here where they have fully grown back. Any response would help please we haven’t slept since he’s been in the hospital :/
Money is not an issue as long as he’s ok. Any advice would help. This is my baby lord knows how much we love him

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Will his beak grow back? What’s the chance of his beak growing back? Dr said its most likely not going to but I’ve read posts on here where they have fully grown back.
I believe that depends on the severity of the damage done, so if the vet is saying it´s unlikely, then unfortunately I would think that is the most probable outcome.

Any advice would help.
Ask about a prosthetic lower mandible. I´ve seen some birds be fitted with them. I don´t know what the criteria are for the vet to consider it worth it, so definitely ask them when you go next and see what they think.

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
My baby lost his bottom beak. Sister closed the door on him while he was on top and lost the entire bottom beak. Anyways took him to the vet $2000 tons of crying and 1 week later he’s acting fine but I’ve been hand feeding him everyday for the past week 4x a day sometimes 5. I haven’t gone anywhere since he screams when I leave and have been home just taking care of him. My only question is will he ever be able to eat by himself? Or will I need to hand feed him for the rest of his life. He has 0 bottom beak . If he can eat how do I get him to?

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for providing veterinarian care and for your nursing.

What chance did vet give of back growing back ?

It amazing how creatures can adapt and find creative ways to deal with their handicap. So maybe he will be able to figure something out? I just don't know.

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for providing veterinarian care and for your nursing.

What chance did vet give of back growing back ?

It amazing how creatures can adapt and find creative ways to deal with their handicap. So maybe he will be able to figure something out? I just don't know.
Thank you for responding. They said the chance of it growing back is very very slim :/
I don’t know what else to feed him

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
With stitches and pain its probably going to take some time till he experiments and trys on his own.

How did your veterinarian advice you on this?

I've only helped ones with crushing injuries to beak. Nothing like what your has experienced or any with missing. We did the formula and offered soft foods soft, cooked veggies till could manage .

I'm sorry I have no advice to share. I will be following to learn from you and your experience with this trauma.

I'm so sorry this has happened. Keep strong

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
With stitches and pain its probably going to take some time till he experiments and trys on his own.

How did your veterinarian advice you on this?

I've only helped ones with crushing injuries to beak. Nothing like what your has experienced or any with missing. We did the formula and offered soft foods soft, cooked veggies till could manage .

I'm sorry I have no advice to share. I will be following to learn from you and your experience with this trauma.

I'm so sorry this has happened. Keep strong
thank you will keep you updated. Vet said try to give mashed veggies but I need to figure it out myself I guess. She didn’t give much advice on how to continue. Hope someone else can chime in on this. Thank you for your response

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I too hope someone who has gone through significant beak injuries chimes in!!

Do have a digital kitchen scale and I would weigh your bird every morning. To make sure you are keeping up with calories needed. Are you using baby bird formula to feed? It has balanced nutrition.

You've come this far so all you can do is give them the best chance to heal . I've seen some remarkable recoveries. I pray this is one .

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If I were in your shoes I would puree everything or cook well and mash until well after healing has finished. I would try feeding him with both a syringe and a spoon to see which your bird does best with..
I would also implement daily weighing if you do not already do it and not skip a day as you really need to monitor how well your bird is keeping weight on with this serious injury.

I do not think anyone can tell you if you will always need to handfeed or if your bird will adjust given time and learn to eat on his own- only time will tell. I would give him a fair bit of time to heal and adjust to the changes as everyday will be bringing new changes with the healing process. Once your bird has healed properly he may well learn to eat again on his own if the right foods are offered- I am thinking he may be able to scoop things up and also lick foods up if they are soft enough.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Excellent above@

I ve know my avian vet for over 20 years...so I just asked her if she'd ever had a case like yours. She had one..the bottom beak grew back enough though wonky for the burd to mange . Was a long recovery. Asked if x ray done and if mandible was still there. Also suggested a second opinion, to find a veterinarian who supportive and guidance with home care. If you have given current one a chance, by asking for help and guidance and asking them questions

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
I too hope someone who has gone through significant beak injuries chimes in!!

Do have a digital kitchen scale and I would weigh your bird every morning. To make sure you are keeping up with calories needed. Are you using baby bird formula to feed? It has balanced nutrition.

You've come this far so all you can do is give them the best chance to heal . I've seen some remarkable recoveries. I pray this is one .
Yes I have been weighing him everyday. Everything I do I come home after 3 hours to feed him. He’s eating the vet omnicare food right now. She said today I can switch him to soft vegetables. I’m guessing I mix the vegetables in for him with the Omnicare? Of course I will take care of him he’s my best friend. He’s my everything and I can’t stop crying over him

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Excellent above@

I ve know my avian vet for over 20 years...so I just asked her if she'd ever had a case like yours. She had one..the bottom beak grew back enough though wonky for the burd to mange . Was a long recovery. Asked if x ray done and if mandible was still there. Also suggested a second opinion, to find a veterinarian who supportive and guidance with home care. If you have given current one a chance, by asking for help and guidance and asking them questions
Yes we did x rays. She said the whole lower beak was pulled out so it’s a very slim chance for it to grow back :/ but she said something will grow maybe cartilage so he can maybe hold onto something, but let’s see what happens.
Thank you so much for chiming in. I will keep you guys updated I really appreciate it. Makes me feel like I’m not alone going through this. Can’t accept how something this innocent can be in so much pain.

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Here are photos of both sides of his lower beak.
There is no beak on his right side but a tiny piece of his left side

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did the vet give you pain meds for this sweetie?

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
Did the vet give you pain meds for this sweetie?
Yes but he’s very happy without it. I let him fly around the room and he acts exactly as he does normally (he was never ever caged before the accident) with the pain killers he just sleeps all day.
I blended Harrison’s pellets and gave it to him today… it seems like he’s eating just fine :)
I’ll be weighing him first thing in the morning to see if he’s actually eating by himself

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
You are doing awesome!
That's good news that he has a small amount on one side. Gives him something to work with.
Very obvious how loved he is!
We all cheering you guys on !

Great to journal this, and see how evolves and progresses

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree, you're doing so great handfeeding him!!

I follow someone on Instagram that has had birds with special needs and has worked with a lot of different animals that need various levels of care. She's a behavior professional too and does video consults. From what I've seen, I feel like she would be a really great resource even though she's not a vet, and I think she does an initial consult at no charge (not 100% sure on that). I'm not sure if direct linking to accounts is allowed in the forum but I can PM you if you're interested!

Joojie69

Meeting neighbors
You are doing awesome!
That's good news that he has a small amount on one side. Gives him something to work with.
Very obvious how loved he is!
We all cheering you guys on !

Great to journal this, and see how evolves and progresses
He’s been doing very well. He’s been eating Harrison’s mash by himself as well as soft foods as long as I cut it for him in small pieces. Did not expect him to recover this quickly but I still do syringe feed him 3x a day just because he’s having a little trouble learning how to eat. Hope someone learns from this will keep you guys updated so others can have help in a bad situation like this.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
He’s been doing very well. He’s been eating Harrison’s mash by himself as well as soft foods as long as I cut it for him in small pieces. Did not expect him to recover this quickly but I still do syringe feed him 3x a day just because he’s having a little trouble learning how to eat. Hope someone learns from this will keep you guys updated so others can have help in a bad situation like this.
Wow!!!! When did he start eating on his own?!!! How many days post accident?
This is such great news!!!! So happy!!!

What's Harrison mash?