• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BIRD KEEPERS LUNG FILTER

Sundae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
I have one budgie in my dining room. Until a few months ago for 4 years I did not regularly clean her cage. Now I do it with a mask on once a week. I have never had asthma or any bad allergies. I have never had ANY allergies to animals. Should I get an air purifier? I want to be safe and not expose myself to this disease.

Redline

Moving in
Real Name
Enua
It would help you more to clean your birds cage every morning to every second day, (in my opinion) theres alot of food dander and poo mess this is how often i clean my cockatiels cage, and they are very messy, but because i do it so often its just a removal of newspaper and a wipe down with spray the cage always looks new, i doubt your budgie will be a culprit to giving you covid if hes always at home, it would be more likely that you would get it from your food packaging and whatnot.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
It'll keep the dust down a bit but one Budgie isn't anywhere like having 20-30 Tiels or a small flock of CAGs. Can't hurt but can't say you have a problem without a filter either.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’d clean daily- it really isn’t hard to change out a sheet of paper each morning. The cleaner you keep your birds environment the less chance there will be any problems.

Just thought I’d mention that birds are not able to carry the corona virus, I know you didn’t ask about it but as it was mentioned in a response.

Redline

Moving in
Real Name
Enua
Thank you! :)
Though I wasn't talking about covid. More, "Bird Keepers Lung".
Sorry i about miss interpreting your situation i made myself abit of an bum with that assumption haha, i have two tiels and am about to have four and so even two create abit of dander, i do recommend cleaning regularly is all.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I change the cage paper daily with two budgies, but am considering which air purifier to buy. Better safe than sorry, I guess. As suggested by several members here, I use moving paper.

Reactions: tka

Budgie33

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laura

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We have Honeywell air cleaners but we also clean daily. For the bird’s breathing as well as your own, keeping everything as clean as possible is important.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
HEPA air purifiers are bird-safe
To clarify -- A HEPA filter in an air purifier is bird safe.

That being said, if the Air purifier (the big box with a fan that holds the filters) also includes an ionizer, it is NOT bird safe, whether it has a HEPA filter in it or not. Ozone (O3) is not great for people, and it's worse for birds . . . and even a nice fabric filter won't stop it.

I have seen some cheap Chinese Air Purifiers that include ionizers, in many cases hiding the fact they do (since O3 is a pollutant . . . it just happens to "purify" by killing things as well). UVc purifiers are bird safe, so long as the light is shrouded from the outside (who want's a sunburn?!?), but their effectiveness on air is . . . debatable.

Read carefully the purifier descriptions to tell how it "cleans" the air.

I'll echo Honeywell purifiers as good. Not cheap, mind you, but good. Picked up the "Power Plus 530" to cover the Dining room/kitchen area for our conure (Essie) and the occasional birdsitting Cockatiel visit (and the "rare" cooking incidents :scared2:). With just Essie, it was a mild improvement in air quality. Machine hums along quietly on low. When we get our visitor, it occasionally bumps up to medium, but the improvement in air quality is noticeable -- No 'tiel funk, no 'tiel fever :)

Also picked up a Tredy H13 sized filter off Amazon for Essie's sleeping room (small bedroom). It got knocked over a few weeks ago and wasn't working . . . took a few days for the bird funk to appear. Set the purifier back up and cleared the intake and exhausts and the next day the funk was gone again.

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I have one budgie in my dining room. Until a few months ago for 4 years I did not regularly clean her cage. Now I do it with a mask on once a week. I have never had asthma or any bad allergies. I have never had ANY allergies to animals. Should I get an air purifier? I want to be safe and not expose myself to this disease.
I clean my budgie's cage many times during the day. His cage is his home. I don't want him living in conditions that are not pristine. I love him too much!

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
I think the IQ air purifier is the best one to get if you are asking for recommendations. IQ air hospitals use it and I’ve never had any issues with it. I have the Dagon air purifier and it malfunctioned multiple times and lucky I’ve been there (woke up to dark smoke and a burning mechanical smell). I no longer use the dyson around any feather creatures. I also have the molecule air purifier and it work a well too but I did have to air it out because it was emitting VOCs when first coming out of the box - kinda defeats the purpose of an air purifier.