• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird Hit a Window

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
Hi, this just happened now - my bird got startled and flew to a window twice, I heard the bangs and feathers were everywhere. There's a bald spot on her head near her eye now, and I'm literally crying because I'm very worried. She's acting alright, grinding her beaks, preening, I'm able to pet her, gave her water and she can balance. Are tiels capable of acting okay when they're really not? There aren't much avian vets around here so I'm wondering if this is a bad -- fatal thing. Her poop afterwards was different - brown instead of the usual green - watery. She's still loosing a bit of tiny feathers.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to keep a very close eye on her. Monitor changes in behavior. Watch for issues with balance, postural changes, head tilt, decreased appetite, lethargy. Sometimes issues don't start immediately if there is a concussion. I hope she will be OK. If you notice any problems then you do need to take her to the vet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Keep her quiet in a smaller cage if possible. Watch for any signs from post above. The biggest thing I know now not to add heat to the cage. That means no heating pads any where near the cage. It can make concussions worse.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
She's sleeping right now on my arm after preening a bunch. This is her bald spot near her eye. I was able to feed her before she slept. So far she's acting like her usual self.

The only different thing so far has been her poop - more urine than feces

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Most likely she's fine, but my tiel with a severe head injury acted basically fine until the next day when she became completely paralyzed. Not saying this to scare you, just be vigilant and be prepared to get her to the vet immediately if you feel anything is off. The watery poop is a sign of stress and should get better in a few hours.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The watery poop is a sign of stress and should get better in a few hours.
What I was going to say.

That is a scary looking injury. We had one hit the window, slide down the wall, and go into shock. We were able to get him to a vet within the hour, he said the injury was fine it was the shock getting to him.... he dosed him immediately and we medicated for about a week I think and all was well.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
What I was going to say.

That is a scary looking injury. We had one hit the window, slide down the wall, and go into shock. We were able to get him to a vet within the hour, he said the injury was fine it was the shock getting to him.... he dosed him immediately and we medicated for about a week I think and all was well.
My girl took Metacam for two months. She's permanently disabled but she's alive and functional enough for good quality. I don't think she would be if I hadn't taken her to the vet on just the vague sense that something was off.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My girl took Metacam for two months. She's permanently disabled but she's alive and functional enough for good quality. I don't think she would be if I hadn't taken her to the vet on just the vague sense that something was off.
Oh my goodness! That's great that you could get her to the vet, and that you realized the issue.

When mine had his accident, we put him up and went downtown an hour later for something, maybe the dog had a vet appointment. And I was telling someone about it - she said take him to the vet right across the street. So I walked over there, and the vet came out to hear my story .... and said can you get him here in 30 minutes? It was 12:30 on a Saturday. So i stayed and filled out paperwork while hubs ran home and got the bird. The vet was wonderful with him. Later, I called there to make an appointment and they said "we don't take birds." But they did -- only because it was an emergency! Thank goodness. That vet was so good with him, and they are close by. I wish they did take birds.

CagedStardust

Meeting neighbors
Awww, poor girl. Just watch, hope shes ok.

I'll be keeping an eye on her! Won't be joining a family thing tomorrow (though I'm not really required to) just so I can be with her.

Most likely she's fine, but my tiel with a severe head injury acted basically fine until the next day when she became completely paralyzed. Not saying this to scare you, just be vigilant and be prepared to get her to the vet immediately if you feel anything is off. The watery poop is a sign of stress and should get better in a few hours.

I'm hoping she is :( She's still able to perch and still has her appetite. The redness of the spot has dulled out (though the small really red part turned black-ish, possibly a small bruise) so now it looks like a normal bald spot. Hopefully, if there is a need to bring her to the vet, the doctors won't be too busy; Thank you for letting me know that the watery poop means stress!

What I was going to say.

I'm glad your tiel was fine! What were the medications for?

She was able to fly to me afterwards but then fly somewhere else again maybe still out of panic; I helped her calm down and gave her water to drink. After a while she just starts preening again and then napped. I let her be since I wanted her to rest :(

As long as she's alive and well!! I would take mine to the vet just to reassure myself that she's okay, but people are telling me to observe first, and her previous owner says she's most likely fine as long as she isn't displaying any changes in behavior or appearance :( That, and pet care here is really expensive, birds especially, since we don't really have exclusively avian vets here.

Oh my goodness! That's great that you could get her to the vet, and that you realized the issue.

When mine had his accident, we put him up and went downtown an hour later for something, maybe the dog had a vet appointment. And I was telling someone about it - she said take him to the vet right across the street. So I walked over there, and the vet came out to hear my story .... and said can you get him here in 30 minutes? It was 12:30 on a Saturday. So i stayed and filled out paperwork while hubs ran home and got the bird. The vet was wonderful with him. Later, I called there to make an appointment and they said "we don't take birds." But they did -- only because it was an emergency! Thank goodness. That vet was so good with him, and they are close by. I wish they did take birds.

I hope your tiels are doing well! That was so kind of the vet!

Last edited: