• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird health

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
Sadly my dear baby Blush passed away today. I went to the vet and as soon as I got home she died. I have 2 other birds they look healthy but I was wondering what I should do to make sure they weren’t sick as well... or if there are things I need to do to keep them warm as it is snowing outside and very cold in the house.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss.

You could take them for a check up to be sure.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so very sorry for your loss.
:sadhug2:

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
Sadly my dear baby Blush passed away today. I went to the vet and as soon as I got home she died. I have 2 other birds they look healthy but I was wondering what I should do to make sure they weren’t sick as well... or if there are things I need to do to keep them warm as it is snowing outside and very cold in the house.
[/QUOTE
I couldn’t figure out how to add more to my post so I guess I’ll use a reply. I can’t have a necropsy done on my bird Blush because it’s several hundred dollars. But the moments before she died I was driving home and I made sure it was really warm in my car and I covered their cages with blankets to keep them warm. When I took her out of the car I set her on the table to get my other bird. The blanket was over her entire cage for about 4minutes. When I took her out of her cage I noticed right away she couldn’t keep her balance and was falling. She was breathing really heavy and she sounded really bad. I held her close to me for warmth since the power in my house was down due to the snow. She then lunged out of my hands onto the floor where it looked like she was having convulsions. She then died breathing heavily on the floor. Did I cause her death? Did I suffocate her from the blanket when I left her on the table? The night before she was making strange noises when I put her to bed and every time I pet her. I also caught her throwing up her food 5 times. I wasn’t sure what was wrong so i took her to the vet and they checked her and didn’t know so they did a gram stain which was later canceled. She seemed just fine when I left the vet so I guess I’m wondering did I do something wrong that killed her when bringing her home.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am sorry to hear of Blush's passing. It sounds like she was quite sick. Sometimes we know they are sick but can not figure out exactly what is wrong. If she was already so sick I would think that this was the cause not the fact that you covered her cage with a blanket. I am sure there is enough air in the cage for it to be covered for several minutes but it is always a good Idea to leave an open spot for air to get in. I am sure the blanket did not suffocate her. You did all you could so you should feel good about that.

Best Bird

Walking the driveway
I am sorry to hear of Blush's passing. It sounds like she was quite sick. Sometimes we know they are sick but can not figure out exactly what is wrong. If she was already so sick I would think that this was the cause not the fact that you covered her cage with a blanket. I am sure there is enough air in the cage for it to be covered for several minutes but it is always a good Idea to leave an open spot for air to get in. I am sure the blanket did not suffocate her. You did all you could so you should feel good about that.
Thank you for the reassurance, I guess I’m just feeling really bad because I thought I might have overheated her in the car on the way home because she was painting when I took her out..and I can’t help but feel guilty because if she was too hot then I made it worse by holding her to me for warmth because I though she was to cold.