• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird health insurance

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
Not sure which forum to post this in but I promised in another post that I would report back on outcomes of my parrot insurance claim. I have Nationwide (the only US insurance that covers parrots as far as I know). I pay $288 per year for $100 deductible and 90% reimbursement and it covers wellness visits as well as sickness.
My initial wellness vet visit and lab work came out to $450(!). The insurance paid exactly what they promised: $286 (90% of total after deductible). So if I have to make any vet visits for the rest if a year, I should come out ahead. Plus I must say that on a tight budget, the peace of mind of knowing that potentially huge vet bills will most likely be 90% covered is priceless. Now knock on wood I won’t need it!

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
That’s awesome! I’m going to look into that. 288 a year is not bad at all!
I has aspca pet insurance for my 2 dogs and that’s expensive it’s 1500 for a year but they cover the same with a 250 deductible and 90% reimbursement. I wonder if nationwide coverage dogs as well lol

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awesome, @FiatLux !

We looked into insurance for the Labradors, but nobody covers accidents/injuries that happen in the field while hunting or eventing (as they don’t classify our dogs as merely pets) so any insurance just wouldn’t be of use to us. I’m glad to see Nationwide is working for Pitchy! Hopefully he doesn’t ever need anything more than just routine checks.
(You could give us another picture of him, just saying!)