• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird has chipped nail, vein showing.

plastic..

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nick
My bird (green cheek conure) apparently sustained some sort of nail injury the past few days which wasn't noticed by me, despite playing with him. His nail chipped off down to his vein in his toe, and part of the vein is showing. I inspected his cage, and found no blood. He's doing great, and I haven't noticed a change in behavior (other than him lifting his leg up from time to time. My question is: what should I do? I gave him a bath, and washed off the injury to try and clean it. Any additional help would be appreciated

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You may be seeing the clotted blood. If the nail break is bad, you may not want to wash away that clot right away as it may start to bleed. I'd keep a close eye on it, and if he starts to favor it worse, call the vet.

Your photo is not really showing the injury, at least I couldn't see anything in it.

I'm sure others will be here with more advise.

plastic..

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nick
You may be seeing the clotted blood. If the nail break is bad, you may not want to wash away that clot right away as it may start to bleed. I'd keep a close eye on it, and if he starts to favor it worse, call the vet.

Your photo is not really showing the injury, at least I couldn't see anything in it.

I'm sure others will be here with more advise.
Thanks for your response.I'll keep an eye on him. I'm pretty sure he's gonna be ok, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

I tried taking the best picture I could. The blurred out toe is the injured one. *attached is just a photo of Tiki, my bird.

Attachments

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
No problems with your pics, the little hyper boogers are hard at times to photograph well.

Others also will be on sooner or later with more advice.
Don't forget this is the 4th of July holiday weekend.
Members may be with family celebrating. :)

Love that photo, she's gorgeous!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks fine. Just monitor. Should heal in a day or two.