• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird got bit on foot

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have a new bird in quarantine and did not realize the door was not latched. I let Jupiter out like normal and went into the kitchen, expecting her to follow me because we always get cheerios from the kitchen. But are flew into the other room and landed on the cage. New birdy bit Jupiter's foot.

It did bleed but not a lot. She is raising it up at times but also still flying around, walking around, was dancing like normal. It didn't look too bad at all. But I know birds can hide an injury pretty good.

Should I take her to a vet immediately or just keep an eye on it?

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
Birds have chewed their own feet off and been okay (aside from the missing foot of course), so she will likely be fine. It’s your judgement call, but if she can’t stand on it or if the injury starts looking worse I would have her checked out.

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
My vet once instructed me to put iodine diluted in sterile water [1-1] on an open wound on my birds foot. I think the most important thing here is to keep it clean so that it doesn't get infected. I wouldn't give fresh food for a couple of days and keep the cage clean until you decide whether to have him checked.

Reactions: Ali