• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird-friendly Halloween treats + how do you guys spend more time with your birds?

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
So, first thing, I love celebrating holidays with the birds, and I think Halloween is a REALLY fun holiday to celebrate with birds because it's a bit chaotic and not really a "family holiday", meaning you don't have to focus your attention on too many things at once. Last Halloween, I took around 50 tea lights, put them all over my room, then shut my main lights off. The birds seemed to think it was pretty cool, they didn't freak out at all! I also toilet-papered their cages (with an unopened roll, not a used one), which they we fine with. I'd really love to "trick-or-treat" with them, though, and make them some bird-safe "candy" that they don't usually get. As well as maybe decorate a bit more and make some Halloween toys for them. I'd love ideas!

Now, onto the next point. I am still in school, and when I get home, I have a fair amount of homework, so I can't spend too much time with the fids. We have at least 1 dance party a day, at least 2 recall sessions, and I take them outside if possible, but it doesn't seem like enough. They don't really want to do chores or shower with me, and training sessions with 3 budgies is hard! Does anyone have ideas on how I can spend more time with them?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I took around 50 tea lights, put them all over my room, then shut my main lights off. The birds seemed to think it was pretty cool, they didn't freak out at all!
Tea lights are not bird safe.
If you want a similar effect, you can get battery powered lights that look a bit like candles.

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Tea lights are not bird safe.
If you want a similar effect, you can get battery powered lights that look a bit like candles.
That's what I meant by tea lights, battery powered small candles. We call all fire candles "candles" in my house, no matter the size.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about foraging for treats in amongst large beads (instead of candy)?