• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

NEW PRODUCT Bird-Friendly Coffee - Now For Sale

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
BeMore Bird Supplies is proud to announce that we are now selling Birds & Beans brand Bird-Friendly Coffee. Bird-Friendly® Coffee is a certification given by the Smithsonian to farmers who grow their beans in the shade, preserving the trees for native & migratory birds to use. In addition, all Birds & Beans coffee is certified Fair-Trade and USDA organic. I've been sampling the 3 different kinds that we are selling all day, and it is by far some of the best coffee I've ever had. We are buying it in small batches to ensure that it is always freshly roasted. Everything we are selling right now was roasted late last week and it is SO FRESH. Here are your options:

We are offering both ground and whole bean, all in 12 oz packages. This is a great way to support healthy South & Central American environments while enjoying a great-tasting cup of coffee. To learn more about Bird-Friendly Coffee and why it is important, please visit Bird-Friendly Coffee & Bird Friendly Coffee or ask below. I've been researching this for weeks now and am very excited to talk about it!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What a cool idea!!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
In the particular region of Nicaragua that this coffee is farmed, the following parrots have been observed:
Half-Moon Conure
White-Crowned Pionus (actually documented on the coffee farm)
Green Parakeet - Psittacara holochlorus
White-Fronted Amazon
Orange-Chinned Parkaeet - Brotogeris jugularis

Source: https://ebird.org/region/NI-MD?yr=all&m=&rank=mrec

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
From my website:

We proudly sell Birds & Beans brand Bird-Friendly® Coffee. Bird-Friendly® Coffee is a certification given by the Smithsonian to farmers who grow their beans in the shade, preserving the trees for native & migratory birds to use. Growing in the shade is a more expensive process compared to cutting down the trees and growing under the sun, which is why only about 1% of all coffee bought in the US is Bird-Friendly®. When you purchase Bird-Friendly® Coffee you are supporting farmers who support their local environment and all life within it. In addition, all Birds & Beans coffee is certified Fair-Trade and USDA organic.

The number one threat to wild parrots in Central & South America is loss of habitat. Parrots (with the exception of the Quaker Parrot) nest only in tree hollows, which are most often found in mature trees. These nesting sites can be used year after year for different birds and support healthy population growth. When farmers cut down these trees, parrots lose nesting sites and do not breed. Even if new trees were to be planted, it would take years for them to develop the hollows that parrots require. That is precisely why shade-grown coffee is so important. It supports the local economy while protecting the natural habitat and environment.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow! That’s an awesome idea :)

aweb

Meeting neighbors
Ok, I'm getting some. Never even knew there was such a thing, and I drink enough coffee to feel some responsibility about how it's harvested. Now, is this considered a bird expense or a personal expense? My accountant wants to know.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Ok, I'm getting some. Never even knew there was such a thing, and I drink enough coffee to feel some responsibility about how it's harvested. Now, is this considered a bird expense or a personal expense? My accountant wants to know.
At this point my accountant says its pointless to make them seperate categories :laugh:

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
This is amazing!! I need this, My parrotlet likes to try and taste my current Folgers brand LOL

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
This is amazing!! I need this, My parrotlet likes to try and taste my current Folgers brand LOL
To be clear though: bird-friendly does not mean good for your bird to drink. It will have the same effects on your bird as regular coffee.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
To be clear though: bird-friendly does not mean good for your bird to drink. It will have the same effects on your bird as regular coffee.
Thank you for the clarity! I can admit I got over excited about that and didn’t see what you posted after. Even still it helps the population grow so I am still all for it!
I did not know that to make the “well known” brands that it also caused a decline in their habitats.

**edited- I do not let her drink my coffee! Just wanted to say that

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
How cool! I love coffee so we will have to give it a try! :nedcof::coffee:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is exactly what I thought when I read the title. TIKA was a former coffee addict. He would kill for a cup of this stuff :lol:

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Reminder that this is still available!

Tweetie

Moving in
Thank you for the clarity! I can admit I got over excited about that and didn’t see what you posted after. Even still it helps the population grow so I am still all for it!
I did not know that to make the “well known” brands that it also caused a decline in their habitats.

**edited- I do not let her drink my coffee! Just wanted to say that
It is due to cutting rainforest. They get their beans from open areas that used to be trees but coffee grows faster and easier in open fields. The bird friendly coffee is grown under the shade of the canopy. Harvesting less but saving trees. that is why it is more expensive.