• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Bird Flu - Avian Influenza - How concerned should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
Hey All,

I'm a bit worried, found one of my zebra finches dead in her nest this morning. She was bleeding from her mouth. She spent yesterday very sleepy and had been living with the diamond doves and her mate in my outside aviary.

Her mate seems fine, and the doves don't seem to have any health issues.

Living in Thailand as you can see in this picture:

There have been several deaths in the past.

I removed all the nesting material and had to get the finch out to bury her (didn't wear gloves!! >.<*)

How concerned should I be? Can we catch H1N1 from a dead finch?

Thanks all

Coco's Momma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Robin
From all I have read and understand, you are far more likely to get the flu from human to human contact than from an animal or bird. To that, we add that the nature of your bird's death is unknown and cannot be determined to be H1N1 based upon bleeding from the mouth. If the bird died of a type of avian flu, my guess would be that your flock was at far greater risk than you. However, despite the cause, if the bird's death was caused by a pathogen, the flock is at risk whether it is flu, psittacosis or many of other potential infectious diseases.

Below is a link to the CDC and discussion of animal to human transmission. The CDC website has many other articles and many, many other resources all over the web that can provide more detailed and scientific information and answers to important questions. The #1 thing I would do (other than monitoring the flock) is to obtain a necropsy if the unfortunate were to happen with the loss of another bird. I am so sorry for your loss. :hug8:

Edited to add link:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/viruses/transmission.htm

Here is another excellent link that explains that it is the H1N1 transmitted amongst humans and the H5N1 that may be transmitted from birds to humans and talks about means of protection and precautions:
http://www.healthhype.com/how-is-flu-transmitted-among-humans-birds-pigs-dogs-and-cats.html

I think the second article will put your mind at ease somewhat for your own self, but you will want to keep an eye on your flock for signs of illness in others as is something we are always doing. :) As previously mentioned it does not have to be H1N1 or H5N1 to be be a contagion that can move through a flock and cause great risk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.