• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Bird flow" parrot YouTube video

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I found this video very interesting! Any thoughts?
I never knew rope toys could be so dangerous! I was thinking of just getting a single cockatiel since I'm a stay at home mom but I guess I could never substitute a true companion of the same species...

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I think there were a lot of good point in the video, though it was awkwardly edited. I was much more interested in the behavioural discussion than the sale pitch.

For the chart I do agree with a lot of the major points, however I do feel it is overly simplified. In a Wild Habitat there are also many reason that life isn't happy. Your chicks could get eaten in front of your very eyes. Your mate could die when out gathering food and NEVER come home. You never know why you just need to figure out how to keep living and somehow mourn the loss. You can starve trying desperately to feed your chicks during a bad season. You are at the mercy of the weather good or bad. You have predators actively hunting you. In Captivity you are at the mercy of a human.

I think the biggest issue with captivity is that pet keeping isn't valued highly for the well being of the animal. Most of the pet industry is geared toward profits, consumerism and personal egos. There are plenty of great bird keepers who work hard everyday to give their birds a meaningful and interesting experience. This video, seems to be a person who really put a lot of thought and self criticism into his own bird keeping. I don't believe captivity in itself is bad. The bird also has safety, in many cases a longer lifespan, weather protection, medical care, a stable diet. Birds have needs that are complicated and long term. I personally think prohibition is not the answer, but regulation. Countries in Europe have made laws in the defense of pet birds. In Sweden you can't keep a single bird of a species, you must have a pair. I also just learned today that in one country wing clipping is illegal. These are great steps.

Birds need to be valued for what makes them birds. Dog care has come a long way, and now dogs are protected by the government to prevent abuses...at least that is the goal. Dogs have representation as individual beings. If we extended this type of legislation to birds it could make a big difference. Not clipping birds, requiring a license for more complex species, raising the standards of care. In Australia you need a license for many of our native birds. This includes cockatoos, it doesn't prevent abuse completely, but it does help to wean out people who are non-committal. Can't really impulse buy a cockatoo, unless you go through all the paper work and get your licence. So maybe it helps keep a little.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. I am actually writing a book now on birds/parrots. I hope we can do more for the birds :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Natalie.

I also think the flow chart is poorly done as it bundles all bird owners in the world in the same boat when the reality is we´re worlds apart.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
I think there were a lot of good point in the video, though it was awkwardly edited. I was much more interested in the behavioural discussion than the sale pitch.

For the chart I do agree with a lot of the major points, however I do feel it is overly simplified. In a Wild Habitat there are also many reason that life isn't happy. Your chicks could get eaten in front of your very eyes. Your mate could die when out gathering food and NEVER come home. You never know why you just need to figure out how to keep living and somehow mourn the loss. You can starve trying desperately to feed your chicks during a bad season. You are at the mercy of the weather good or bad. You have predators actively hunting you. In Captivity you are at the mercy of a human.

I think the biggest issue with captivity is that pet keeping isn't valued highly for the well being of the animal. Most of the pet industry is geared toward profits, consumerism and personal egos. There are plenty of great bird keepers who work hard everyday to give their birds a meaningful and interesting experience. This video, seems to be a person who really put a lot of thought and self criticism into his own bird keeping. I don't believe captivity in itself is bad. The bird also has safety, in many cases a longer lifespan, weather protection, medical care, a stable diet. Birds have needs that are complicated and long term. I personally think prohibition is not the answer, but regulation. Countries in Europe have made laws in the defense of pet birds. In Sweden you can't keep a single bird of a species, you must have a pair. I also just learned today that in one country wing clipping is illegal. These are great steps.

Birds need to be valued for what makes them birds. Dog care has come a long way, and now dogs are protected by the government to prevent abuses...at least that is the goal. Dogs have representation as individual beings. If we extended this type of legislation to birds it could make a big difference. Not clipping birds, requiring a license for more complex species, raising the standards of care. In Australia you need a license for many of our native birds. This includes cockatoos, it doesn't prevent abuse completely, but it does help to wean out people who are non-committal. Can't really impulse buy a cockatoo, unless you go through all the paper work and get your licence. So maybe it helps keep a little.

Anyway, these are just my opinions. I am actually writing a book now on birds/parrots. I hope we can do more for the birds :)
Yes I completely agree! I never thought about how hard parrots have it in the wild too..yea the editing was annoying sometimes I had to rewind it a few times lol..I dont want to clip my birds wings anymore..but i had my last 2 tiels fly away and never be seen again.both my fault..one the door blew open during a storm..the other time the mesh I had at the bottom going to my patio had loosened and I didnt notoce... .I pray they found good homes..so I'm a little torn on that..and as far as having pairs go I never thought about their need for companionship that way ..

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I lost my cockatiel, Petrie from a fly off accident in 2005. It was a very dark day. I still miss him, and dream of our little songs.

It was actually the reason I researched more about wing clipping. When I had Petrie I was given out dated advice. It was NOT a good practice. When Petrie flew out and got caught by the wind...he had no idea how to get back. He was helpless because he was never allowed to have flight. When I finally found him after hours and hours of searching...he was high in a tree. He was so excited to see me he started calling, jumped and tried to fly, the wind blew him, he overshot my head and disappeared into a dense forest. I looked for hours, days, weeks..never saw him again.

I changed and never cut a bird's wings again. The only time it is justifiable is if the bird has an injury or health concern and it is under the guidance of a vet. Now that my birds know how to fly, they have a better chance at making it back to me. Our house has strict rules about doors, fans, and all birdie hazards. There will be a risk of something going wrong. But the benefits outweigh the risk. Also a clipped bird has no control and is more likely to crash into a window or wall because they have been disabled and can't turn in flight. My little bird, Pi was clipped by his breeder, he flew with clipped wings into a window badly...it took months and months for his beak bruise to grow out. My parrotlets have never been clipped, they have never had an accident from crashing.

Also flight is really important to their health and fitness! So even from that stand point.

If you lost birds from fly offs, it might be good to build a more lock solid strategy. Check windows and doors, make a system for when your bird is out. Inform the household when the birds are out, and develop a system that works for everyone and the bird.

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
I lost my cockatiel, Petrie from a fly off accident in 2005. It was a very dark day. I still miss him, and dream of our little songs.

It was actually the reason I researched more about wing clipping. When I had Petrie I was given out dated advice. It was NOT a good practice. When Petrie flew out and got caught by the wind...he had no idea how to get back. He was helpless because he was never allowed to have flight. When I finally found him after hours and hours of searching...he was high in a tree. He was so excited to see me he started calling, jumped and tried to fly, the wind blew him, he overshot my head and disappeared into a dense forest. I looked for hours, days, weeks..never saw him again.

I changed and never cut a bird's wings again. The only time it is justifiable is if the bird has an injury or health concern and it is under the guidance of a vet. Now that my birds know how to fly, they have a better chance at making it back to me. Our house has strict rules about doors, fans, and all birdie hazards. There will be a risk of something going wrong. But the benefits outweigh the risk. Also a clipped bird has no control and is more likely to crash into a window or wall because they have been disabled and can't turn in flight. My little bird, Pi was clipped by his breeder, he flew with clipped wings into a window badly...it took months and months for his beak bruise to grow out. My parrotlets have never been clipped, they have never had an accident from crashing.

Also flight is really important to their health and fitness! So even from that stand point.

If you lost birds from fly offs, it might be good to build a more lock solid strategy. Check windows and doors, make a system for when your bird is out. Inform the household when the birds are out, and develop a system that works for everyone and the bird.
Wow! Thanks for your advice! It makes complete sense! I won't be clipping ! I'm the one who needs to be more careful!!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Even people have lost *clipped* birds outside... and clipped birds can be in more danger from predators as they wont have the muscle strength to avoid a predator for long. To me, clipping is a false sense of security. I lost my first budgie to a cat. If he had his flights, he *might* have stood a chance. Unfortunately, it was just really bad circumstance and lack of supervision... and I did lose another budgie outside. My fault entirely. I've learned a lot since then.

I can't disagree with the video, but the edits are atrocious! And the shirt? What the heck is up with the shirt? (really wanting to understand the design... feeling like there's something I'm missing?) And the spelling errors... in video as well as on their web page.... irks me.

Never heard of this product before, but have seen something of similar design... but it's an acrylic ball that screws onto the end.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

I had nearly the same story with a cockatiel, except I got mine back. He had been clipped that very morning.

and my caique attacks hubby so I clipped her; it completely changed her personality. Sh has no confidence.

No more clipping here.