• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Fair!!

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
There will be a bird fair in Springfield, MO on the 23rd! I can't wait, it's the first bird fair I can attend. Have any of you ever been to one?

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been to several in PA. One bird fair we went to many years ago had a show with macaws riding bicycles, etc., it was really neat. Sadly most of the bird fairs in PA are no more. Some fairs have lots of vendors, others not so many.

Take a tote bag to carry your purchases in. Take a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I wear a fanny pack so I don't have to carry a purse. Unless you have good restraint...let your credit card at home, LOL. Take lots of cash. If it's a good fair there will be many vendors there selling everything you can imagine from toys to food to cages, etc.. Most fairs also have birds for sale. Give yourself time to visit all the vendors & look over what they have. There may be vendors selling the same items, but I soon realized looking for a better price left me without the item, as it was gone when I made my way back. SO if it's something you really like/want buy it then. I would not buy a bird at a fair unless I had already spoken to or know the breeder. Also consider with the supply chain limited right now buy what you can at the fair, as it may not be available on line. Try to get there when they open, which gives you first chance at the vendors.

As soon as you get home strip off your clothes & take a shower. Clean any & all toys, etc. you bought.

Most of all have fun & enjoy the fair. Take pics & post them if possible.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Unless you have good restraint...let your credit card at home, LOL.
I don't have good restraint. Good advice lol :roflmao::roflmao:

I've been looking for a bigger cage for Sunni, but the price for the cage I like on amazon just shot up. Who knows, maybe I'll find the perfect one there!

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I've been looking for a bigger cage for Sunni, but the price for the cage I like on amazon just shot up. Who knows, maybe I'll find the perfect one there!
LOL I hear ya. I often talk myself out of spending a lot, but my husband talks me into again. If they have the cage I'd suggest you buy it as many places have been out of cages for months & it may be many more months before the su8pplu chain is fixed & you can get one on line.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Bird fair!!!!!!!!!!! I never knew those existed, I wish I lived in Montana!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Be very, very cautious about disease. Bird fairs are notorious for spreading disease, including PDD, PBFD and other nasties.

As soon as you get home, wash your hands before you touch anything, change and put your clothes straight into the washing machine, shower and wash your hair. Spray everything you bought with F10 or similar at a suitable concentration to kill off resistant viruses. I would also spray down my shoes and scrub the soles.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Bit of a tip for buying on Amazon if you keep looking at a product the price sometimes go's down as long as you dont clear your cache

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As fun as the idea seems, even before planning for birds, I’d heard about bird fairs, because every time a human gets seriously sick from one, it makes the news.

Before deciding, I’d want to know about the venue’s ventilation system, percent fresh air intake from outside, etc. Honestly, I’d probably skip it unless it was entirely outside. I don’t want a zoonotic disease.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I go to about 4 bird marts a year typically. A friend of mine is a breeder and I go help him sell babies. When I was younger I would go and buy tons of stuff. Well now I have too much stuff it seems so I cut back on spending. Since I have been going to marts for over 20 years I have lots of friends so it is more of a socializing event. Take cash (lots) since most vendors are not set up for credit cards. Try to support the actual breeder and toy makers before the resellers. You will have fun.

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Anyone know of any kind of event like this in NY? I was tempted to to attend one that was in PA but it was 4 hrs away.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Anyone know of any kind of event like this in NY? I was tempted to to attend one that was in PA but it was 4 hrs away.
There is one in Long Island October of next year.

2020 Long Island Parrot Expo

Sometimes there are rescues at Bird Fairs as well. As other have said make sure you wash everything extremely well.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I wonder if there's any in Wyoming or Nebraska?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I don't go to them anymore, I've been to couple of them, many years ago.
When I was volunteering at the clinic we were ask not to attend them by both vets. Primarily because of the fairly high risk of bird diseases.
My suggestion is this as soon as you leave spray your shoes tops and bottoms with disinfectant like f 10. Take change of clothes from skin side out and stop a restroom and change your clothes bagging everything up in trash bag with double knots closing it. Wash your hands before you walk into your house anything and I mean anything you buy there sanitize and disinfect at least twice.
Sorry to be Debbie Downer but I have seen too many sick birds from their humans going to bird fair.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've been to several and used to volunteer here in St. Louis for the parrot club.

I saw some unique things at fairs over the year. I've met Avian Avenue people in person there too.

Cleaning when you get home should always be a priority. I go to local bird stores and my vet, there's birds in a lot of places we go! With COVID out there anyway, it just emphasizes to wash, wash, wash.

Remember to pay attention to toys. For instance, in the early days I didn't know to ask how the leather they used in a toy was tanned.