• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Dramamine

J.Rome

Moving in
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of any kind of medicinal remedies or even over the counter stuff that works like Dramamine and is safe for birds? I'm probably going to be moving soon by car so I want to make sure my bird can travel most comfortably. I have a Green Cheek that will get car sick after a while (about 20 minutes) and starts blowing chunks. Usually, during rides he is on my shoulder and I assume his sickness gets more severe like this than if he were in a cage or box during the travel. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
children's Benadryl is suggested by vets for carsick birds. You should consult your vet for dosage as it is based on weight.
some people give their birds ginger or ginger ale. that never worked for us.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Also don't feed your bird for 2 hours before the trip. I read that this is a good idea for holding back nausea.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
My scarlet Maui gets very carsick, we hold food back for four hours to do a trip.

Last vet trip he did great until the ride home, my vet failed to mention they shared lunch together and fed him taco shells. Gross!