• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird doesn't like scritches?

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I have a 7 month old male Cockatiel, tamed and clipped by breeder, hasn't molted yet, I have had a few birds in my past experience. My buddy is tame and steps up, likes having company. But he wont let me touch or hold him. He occasionally lets me scratch him a little in the morning, but other than that he doesn't let me even touch him. What taming process should I take to fix this? Please reply ASAP.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
There's nothing to fix.

Some birds like being cuddled and held, and some birds are just "shoulder birds". That's the way it is.

Just make sure you don't press him or force him to be petted, that can make the little "scritch time" you have vanish.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Some birds just don't like to be touched like that. He is very young also so may just need a bit more time to adjust and get to know you better. Go slow and try to go at his pace if he lets you scratch a bit in the morning that is a good start just build very slowly from there. When he starts to molt try to watch if he starts to rub his head on anything if he does you could try lightly rubbing his head in the same spot. You said he is 7 months old but how long have you had him?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Seen this twice now what does bump mean:)
It is just a way to move the post up to the top of the list if no one has responded to it yet so that it doesn't get lost in the shuffle..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My heart bird, Gizmo, was my best buddy and she never let me touch her with my hands. You could try treating when he does let you touch him but he may just not enjoy it

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Sergei would cuddle, kiss, have his head scratched and basically live on my shoulder if I let him. Lucy just wants me sit on the floor and play with the toys she brings me. Newt just wants his head scratched 24/7. Each bird is a total individual. From foods, to toys, to interacting preferences. They may change down the line, but like getting young children to eat veggies, they may not. But we still love them as they are! ;)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He actually sounds pretty friendly to me. Like @Mizzely I also had a very strong bond with one of my tiels, Twilight, who didn’t like to be touched at all. He would step up onto my clothed arm, but that was it. I would suggest just taking everything slow and go at his pace. Love him for who he is, and don’t worry about how you think he should be.

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
Some birds just don't like to be touched like that. He is very young also so may just need a bit more time to adjust and get to know you better. Go slow and try to go at his pace if he lets you scratch a bit in the morning that is a good start just build very slowly from there. When he starts to molt try to watch if he starts to rub his head on anything if he does you could try lightly rubbing his head in the same spot. You said he is 7 months old but how long have you had him?
I've had him for about 5 months now. Got him at about 2-3 months old.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You can try training him . My tiel doesn't like her toes being touched but I have trained her to allow it momentarily for a treat. I am hoping to work up to nail filing someday lol.

I use clicker training and started with simple tricks at first. Once your bird is accustomed to clicker training, I would start by putting your finger near your birds beak , clicking when she doesn't move away and treat. Eventually u can touch the beak for a quick second. In time maybe pet the beak a little before treating. If this all goes well u can pet the beak longer for treats until eventually u don't need a treat. Some birds seem to enjoy beak touching more then head touches when not fully bonded. You can try touching the cheeks if he enjoys the beak touched too in time.
Touching the top of the head is more scary to them as they cannot see your intent, and some birds need a special solid bond before allowing it and wanting it.

The idea is to show your pet that it isn't scary to be touched , and he has the option to say no if he chooses. Training takes some patience but is a fun past time and bonding experience.
My pet also didn't like her wings being touched but I taught her to do the wings trick for treats. I did it in small steps so I could push her wings from her body until she knew and predicted what I wanted before touching. The first two days I treated her for letting me put my index finger near one wing. The third day I ever so slightly touched her wing for half a second. In a few more days I was able to let my finger rest on her wing for a few seconds. Then week two I started with touching her wing pit for half a second. Eventually working up to using two fingers in two wing pits to push her wings out just little.

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Also my tiel didn't become a cuddlebug until she turned a year old. Some days she didn't want petting at all, other days she would only let me for 5 or ten seconds then walk away. Now she wants to be pet 50 percent of the time lol the change is big.