• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird died

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
Earlier today my budgie died in my hands. I saw him upside down on his perch like he lost his balance so I grabbed him out and took him outside. He had some sort of attack which I'm thinking was a seizure or a stroke because he was being lethargic and started flapping his wings and died right after. He had food and water and I didn't notice anything strange other than that he was a little slow compared to the rest of the days but I didn't think anything of it. It also could've been his age, because we weren't sure exactly how old he was when we got him (but he did appear to be young) but he was definitely around 4 years old. Any ideas?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Had this bird seen a vet? Any number of things could have caused the death. If you want to know what happened, I suggest taking the bird's body to an avian vet to have a necropsy done.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Sorry for your loss

could be neurological?

What diet was he on? Muscle weakness and tiredness could indicate nutrient deficiency.

Any toxins in the house like non stick cookware, new toys, new kitchen appliances, candles, cleaners, air fresheners?

4 isn't old, so I highly doubt it was due to age.

As taxidermynerd said, did you previously take him to a vet?it's hard to get a definitive answer without a necropsy.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m very sorry for your loss

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
Sorry for your loss

could be neurological?

What diet was he on? Muscle weakness and tiredness could indicate nutrient deficiency.

Any toxins in the house like non stick cookware, new toys, new kitchen appliances, candles, cleaners, air fresheners?

4 isn't old, so I highly doubt it was due to age.

As taxidermynerd said, did you previously take him to a vet?it's hard to get a definitive answer without a necropsy.
No I hadn't took him to any doctors and he was on a regular seed diet with veggies. We did clean the stove a week or two ago but I highly doubt it was that because I have a cockatiel and she is perfectly healthy so idk what it is

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Did he get access to unfiltered sunlight?( Not through a window). Lack of vitamin d3 can cause seizures.

No I hadn't took him to any doctors and he was on a regular seed diet with veggies. We did clean the stove a week or two ago but I highly doubt it was that because I have a cockatiel and she is perfectly healthy so idk what it is

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a cockatiel and she is perfectly healthy so idk what it is
I am very sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

If I were you I would take your cockatiel to the vet to ensure there isn't something lingering which could impact her.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
So sorry for your loss. :darkcloud:

tjc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tammy
Even though your cockatiel is ok, how did you clean your stove? Oven cleaner sprays and self cleaning ovens are dangerous. But, if that was the case, it would have been closer to that time. I’m very sorry for your loss. Hugs.
:hug6::hug6:

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
Did he get access to unfiltered sunlight?( Not through a window). Lack of vitamin d3 can cause seizures.
No I bought a new pair of birds yesterday. How do I help that not happen and what is unfiltered sunlight? I want to prevent that from happening again

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
No I bought a new pair of birds yesterday. How do I help that not happen and what is unfiltered sunlight? I want to prevent that from happening again
Nevermind I searched it up I was just unfamiliar with the term. Yes I did take him outside a couple times but not enough. Maybe that caused it :sad6:

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
I am very sorry for your loss. :sorrow:

If I were you I would take your cockatiel to the vet to ensure there isn't something lingering which could impact her.
Someone said it could be from lack of sunlight that caused the seizure so I'm almost sure that caused it so I think the same thing can kill her too so I need to start taking her, and my new birds outside a lot more

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard
Even though your cockatiel is ok, how did you clean your stove? Oven cleaner sprays and self cleaning ovens are dangerous. But, if that was the case, it would have been closer to that time. I’m very sorry for your loss. Hugs.
:hug6::hug6:
Yes my cockatiel is okay. It was a self cleaning stove but before they cleaned it, I took them outside for some fresh air and, thank you :(

Reactions: tjc

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Nevermind I searched it up I was just unfamiliar with the term. Yes I did take him outside a couple times but not enough. Maybe that caused it :sad6:

Here's some links that explain the importance of vitamin d3.

I would still enourage you to take your existing and your new birds for a wellness exam by an avian vet, if possible. Just to make sure they are all okay. Plus I'd advise to quarantine your new birds.

Hedwigtheo

Strolling the yard

Here's some links that explain the importance of vitamin d3.

I would still enourage you to take your existing and your new birds for a wellness exam by an avian vet, if possible. Just to make sure they are all okay. Plus I'd advise to quarantine your new birds.
Alright

Reactions: Jas