• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird didn’t molt yet

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
I have a Male cockatiel, 5 months old, the breeder clipped his wings when they grew, he hasn’t molted yet. Also is it normal he isn’t singing? All he does is scream, and when he’s happy he doesn’t say anything, sometimes a chirp but no tweeting. Is this normal??!??

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
Don't worry too much about his wings; they will grow back! First molts are usually at 8mo-year old. He's pretty young to have a singing repertoire. Especially if he isn't around other birds. I've enclosed a link to a site that has a lot of information on cockatiels this particular page talks about screaming 'Tiels and how to deal with it. If you would like your bird to do some singing; try teaching him a tune you like. Maybe whistle Andy Griffith? Zippity-do0-da song? Find something you won't mind hearing again and again though. Then whistle it at least once a day...maybe two to start. It takes a while but they will usually pick it up. Sephor is approximately 8mo old now, going through his first molt, and he now knows part of Andy Griffith. He will sit on my shoulder, and then do a few notes to try to get me to whistle the whole song for him. It's pretty cute, he is so eager to learn the rest of the tune! I think some 'Tiels are quieter, might be a personality thing. Sephor isn't silent but he isn't super vocal either. He'll chirp to bring in the morning and to end the day, flock call if I am out of sight...or he'll start doing Andy Griffith to try to serenade me back, However, if he is with me (usually most of the day) he is quite silent.

www.cocktielcottage.net/screaming.html

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
Your welcome! OH, and just so you know...teaching them to sing tunes requires patience and persistence.
I've been whistling Andy Griffith since I got him in the spring...It took nearly 5mo for him to start singing
part of it! Now I whistle Queen another one bites the dust as well, he really perks up for that song too!

Is this your first FID?

WallyCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ali
My fourth one actually! I had 3 budgies, they were very old. I got them at the age of 6. They died of old age. This is my first cockatiel his name is Wally and he so happy all the time!

Birdie76

Walking the driveway
I know nothing about budgies, other than what they look like. I'm more familiar with cockatiels and pigeons...as well as some other wild birds.

Glad to hear Wally is a happy birdie!!~! That's what we want happy FIDS!!~!