• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Diapers???

Should I buy some bird diapers?

• Total voters

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Not sure if this is the right place to post this? (admin feel free to move it) But does anyone use these "bird diapers"? In theory they're great, plus they look cute. But how do birds like them? Does it really even catch the poop? Or does it slide out? Anyone use these?

(by the way, i know they're flight suits, but can I just use it to not get pooped on every 20 minutes?)

Link: Avian Fashions - Home of the Revolutionary Bird Diaper, the FlightSuit!

Here's a picture:
: AA pic 3.jpg

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
They seem really convenient but wouldn't the poo get stuck on the feathers

Last edited:

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I know! It would be a miracle if this is actually what it says it is. I hope other people have used them and can tell me about it.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If its fitted right there may be a space between the bird & a pad similar to a cotton face wipe is placed on the bottom of the suit to catch the poop.
If not it could be a proble & then you would need to clean a birds pooper instead of your lap or floor which with some birds could be a challenge.

20 minutes is a great poop interval for a bird. Some birds can ppop every 5 to 10 minutes...

I hate to clean poop off of me or on a towel I put under them but ita part of owning a birs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I throw a towel over my shoulder.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I used a flight suit with my cockatoo who passed. Worked great for him. poop fell where it was supposed to and didn't get on him. He preferred wearing it instead of an aviator harness so that's why we used it.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I have heard that they work well, and the poop falls where it's supposed to so your bird stays clean, but I don't think they would be good for a bird to wear whenever he is out of his cage. I think they are good for going outside, or taking your bird special places where it would be inconvenient for your bird to poop.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Bird has to be tame enough to train to wear it.
Can;t just take a bird & out a flight suit on him.

The idea does sound tempting to me a I hate poop in any other place than on the paper.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
They work well for cockatiels if you can get them used to them. The poop doesn't get on them. You can use them as flightsuits, diapers, or whatever fits your fancy. I used to have a habit of putting the fleece ones on in the winter if I was traveling with my birds. It all depends on how well your bird takes to them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I don't see how anyone, bird or otherwise would "like" a bag hanging off their rear. A little poop never hurt anyone.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What John is trying to say don't get a bird if you will freak out when it chews your Louis 16 carved furniture & poops on the velvet upolstery & they can chew that up to.

Get a bird only if you think you will be able to live in a barn.:rofl:

There are people that donlt like any feces o the floor & then there are the extreme that can seem to lives with inches of it covering the floor.

I'm a bit particular personality so it can be irritating but I grumble & clean it & then forget about it til it happens again.

The vinyl covering on my grandmas precious chairs as it bout all I have from her were all chewed by a tiel I had over 10 years ago. He also ate the buttons off the phone & remote.
Wow imagine the carnage a too can do & I think that;s where John is coming from as he lives with 2 of them.

I suppose Johns adviceis spot on. The too probably won;t be happy to have to rotate out time with the GCCs & a unhaappy too screams & could start plucking.

John is just trying to show you the real nitty gritty. If you think you can give the bird his own out space & work hard to establish a relationship it could work.

Have you met the bird? How does he seem to react to you? You still have to remember the bird will act differently in his old home than in yours.

Last edited:

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
For me in the past, being pooped on was mostly an issue in the beginning, but Kiwiberry especially learnt to scoot out more and the poop would usually miss me.
But I've heard of people toilet training their birds, so maybe that could be something to look into? So they only go in one place and fly there to poop, then come back.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Toilet training can be problematic as bird could hold poop if the location is not available which is not healthy.

Flipburry

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sebastian
That's true, but you should pick an area that'll be available to them whenever they're out, could be the cage, even stepping down to your fingers to poop if you have a velcro bird

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
I trained my birds not to poop on me. Every 15 minutes I'll place them on their stand and not allow them to come back to me until they've pooped. I even repeat the word poop so they associate the word with the task. They quickly learned that pooping = more shoulder time and I haven't been pooped on in a long time. All I have to do is remember to put them back on their stand every 15 minutes. Even without the stand, they will do as much as possible to avoid pooping on me now, even if it means flying to my desk or something.

I have a bird diaper but my birds would never like being restrained in something of the like. Plus, birds are rowdy and clumsy, and I feel if they accidentally put their butt close to something they'd smush the poop into their feathers..

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
I already have a baby cockatiel. Believe me, I love him more than anything. But it was just a tempting idea to not get pooped on, you know? I'll try to do the training that "Drini" talked about. I might still get a bird diaper to see how he likes it, or just to use outside. We'll see if he is okay with wearing it. I'll post some pictures on this thread when it gets here, and i'll probably post a review as well.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Flight suits are great to take a bird out so get your young bird used to them.

You can try to time the poops & put them on the cage every 10/15 minutes or just be aware when they are on you & have them on your hand with a atch close by & when you see them strain & start to lift the tail hold them over the catch. This way it will be easy to clean. Catch can be a piece of newpaper. You'll get used to the timing.

Rio is not that easy I swear that bird goes every 5 minutes when he's out.

Each bird is different & I guess the bigger birds might be able to hold longer.

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
Flight suits are great to take a bird out so get your young bird used to them.

You can try to time the poops & put them on the cage every 10/15 minutes or just be aware when they are on you & have them on your hand with a atch close by & when you see them strain & start to lift the tail hold them over the catch. This way it will be easy to clean. Catch can be a piece of newpaper. You'll get used to the timing.

Rio is not that easy I swear that bird goes every 5 minutes when he's out.

Each bird is different & I guess the bigger birds might be able to hold longer.
He loves sitting on my shoulder and chewing on my headphones or fingers while i play video games or watch movies. So it's really annoying to have poop on your shirt while your trying to watch a movie. I think i'll just start putting a towel where he sits so it'll get caught.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
People use birdie diapers on bigger birds like chickens, ducks, and geese with great success. With parrots, it gets more iffy. Most don't like to wear them if they aren't taught to wear them quite young, and on a smaller bird they can just be too bulky and restrictive. And they are smaller birds so the poop is less of a problem - many if not most parrots will be a little reluctant to poop on people and will usually fidget a little or otherwise give a bit of a warning before pooping. There are plenty of people who do use flightsuits, often just for the harness function, they do work, but a lot of birds hate them too. And you have to be careful about a bird overheating in hot weather with one on as well.

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I use them all the time on my pigeons they are very handy. I don't get poo all over the house or over me and the poo stays away from their feathers. He is a picture of Sooty my pigeon wearing one at the beach :laughing2:
Sooty.jpg