• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Clubs/Societies in Idaho?

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
So I recently read through Parrots for Dummies by Nikki Moustaki in just a few sittings (which I found much more interesting and informative than I expected, considering how obsessed I’ve been with birds for the last decade). I even picked up her memoir, which I can also recommend.

Anyways, one of the things that piqued my interest were the bird clubs and societies that she often mentions, describing them as ‘easy to find with a simple internet search.’ Well, I’m searching, and I can’t seem to track down any in my area.

Does anyone know of a parrot club in Idaho? I really want to hang out with other bird nerds- I doubt my colleagues want to listen to another rhapsody on the intricacies of feather construction.

Plus, now that I actually have a fid on the way, it would be nice to have a community I can turn to with questions.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Unfortunately, in the last 18 years since that book was written, groups such as what you are looking for have widely disappeared. There used to be a few in my state, but there have been none in at least 12 years. You could try contacting the American Federation of Aviculture and see if they know of any.

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Bummer! I kind of expected as much, but was hoping there were still some people that like to meet in person rather than through a screen.

Seems clubs have gone the way of the print magazine (RIP ‘Bird Talk’ and ‘Parrots’), and I was born 20 years too late…

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are still a few magazines that are printed. AFA Watchbird, Parrots Magazine, Australian BirdKeeper, etc. Those three are all very good.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My area still has a society but we are a long way from Idaho.

Maybe check fb to find local bird owners to start a club with?

papaya13

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Maybe check fb to find local bird owners to start a club with?
My town is one of the few I know of that actually reads the newspaper on a regular basis. I’ll have to post something in Miscellany II!