• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Carriers

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
So i've booked an apt for the vets, in about 2 weeks from now. I've ordered one of those bird backpacks, as his other carrier terrifies him, it's loud, small, and just not easy to carry either.
How would I go about getting him comfy in this backpack? And also, is it a good idea to use as a carrier to the vets?
Would also appreciate any other tips for his ""first"" proper vet visit, as he doesn't go out much at all, and last time he did it was terrifying for him. Thanks! :)
Carrier: Get Flocked Bird Carrier / Backpack

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I use a similar backpack for my green cheek conure’s vet visits (and occasional Starbucks drive though visits lol). He likes it much better than the regular travel cage—perhaps because it feels more sheltered. I got him used to it by giving him lots of treats it in with the front flap open at home first just holding him perched on ny finger “in” the backpack and then on the backpack perch. He was not completely comfortable the first time we actually used it to go in the car but he was fine within 15 mins as judging by that fact that he was eating in the backpack while we were driving. I keep the front flap facing me so he can see me and I put in food and treats. I also try really harder to convey confidence when I put him in so he does not pick up on my anxiety. So I place him in there rather assuredly and quickly and try not to make too much of a fuss. He still won’t choose to go in the backpack voluntarily by himself but he seems ok both during and after we use it. Good luck!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely have the carrier open in your home so he can explore it prior to the day. Some gentle conditioning usually helps. Adding treats and toys in there will make it a fun place and encourage him to explore in there.