• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Carrier/Backpacks - yay or nay?

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt has the Pak o Bird. There are things that are great about it and things that are not so great about it. For a budgie or smaller bird I think a backpack would be awesome.

clarousel

I have another suggestion for you. A friend lives in senior community that has condos, a 9 hole golf course and a small park with a pond. A couple there has two budgies. Every day they put the cage with the budgies in a little red wagon (red Radio Flyer) and pull it to the park where they sit for awhile and enjoy the out of doors. This works for a small bird like a budgie. You could put Preeno in his travel cage and take him for a walk or to the park. If it turns out that he's to upset then you can use the wagon as a planter or some other home decor whereas with a backpack, you'd just throw in your closet because it can't be used for anything else.
Is the red wagon a vehicle? Sorry I'm confused and can't drive! :laughing2:

Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I may start with the travel cage first and see how that goes. On my days off I can avoid kids as they'd be in school and the park is usually quiet, maybe 1 or 2 elderly folk getting some fresh air. I'm not too worried about people, could always start to back off as someone starts approaching :laughin:

I really do like the idea of the backpack as it means I'll have both hands free. Whereas the travel cage is slightly heavier and bulky and tends to knock on my leg.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a Pak O'Bird I trust it, very well constructed.

Generally Pi can be vexed when we are moving, especially when cars drive by. When I sit down on the ground with him or relax and read a book he will calm down and preen and eat.

I think it is a fantastic tool for transporting a bird to a destination but not for walking as a form of entertainment. I think it can be scary for our small birds. They are trapped and forced to witness things they may rather fly from. So I keep it closed up as much as I can when we are in motion then I roll up the sides when it is more likely we can relax.

clarousel

I have a Pak O'Bird I trust it, very well constructed.

Generally Pi can be vexed when we are moving, especially when cars drive by. When I sit down on the ground with him or relax and read a book he will calm down and preen and eat.

I think it is a fantastic tool for transporting a bird to a destination but not for walking as a form of entertainment. I think it can be scary for our small birds. They are trapped and forced to witness things they may rather fly from. So I keep it closed up as much as I can when we are in motion then I roll up the sides when it is more likely we can relax.
Yes that makes sense. I don't walk around too much because it's so hot and humid here, unless it's a cooler time of the day or just a really nice day with some wind!

I saw some backpacks with clip on bowls - how to you prevent water from spilling? This seems like a silly question!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I use a bottle

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
The wagon is good because they don't get jostled when you walk.

clarousel

The wagon is good because they don't get jostled when you walk.
Oh yeah! I could look for an alternative here cause that doesn't ship to Singapore. It's mainly roads around me though so could be a bumpy ride.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
If you decide to try it, put a towel or blanket in the bottom under the cage to help cushion the ride and keep the cage from sliding around.

Allie94

Moving in
Real Name
Alice Buckmaster
I have a birdy backpack (the one I linked to below) as my main carrier for Rosie - I initially got it because I don't have a car of my own and it's more commuter friendly than carrier cages - my vet complimented me on it actually when I went there last week so I am under the impression that it is safe at least (I have to hire a car to take her to the vet right now though because Corona is everywhere). Will definitely be using it for other outings though, especially so she doesn't grow to associate it with vet visits and using it can be a little more pleasant for her.

Last edited:

clarousel

Guys I feel really dumb but how would you fill up bowls of food/water?

Like you'd unzip it and what if you bird freaks and flies out?

I watched a video of a guy who brougjt his budgie out to this reall quiet and peaceful park and they had a really cute picnic together. Was super cute :')

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Guys I feel really dumb but how would you fill up bowls of food/water?

Like you'd unzip it and what if you bird freaks and flies out?

I watched a video of a guy who brougjt his budgie out to this reall quiet and peaceful park and they had a really cute picnic together. Was super cute :')
I think you just fill them up at home, but my carrier only comes with one food bowl so I had to improvise a bit.

When I was taking Kiwi on vacation I filled up a bottle cap with some water for him every hour so he could drink. I just put in my hand in a space to small for him to squeeze around, but I have a soft sided carrier, and that would be hard in a cage type carrier.
On the way back I screwed a water bowl into the hole where a water bottle is supposed come from.

There is a cage type carrier with feeder doors, but it's very heavy.

Reactions: Ali

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Kiwi's Mom As I recall, you have budgies? How did you train them to get into the carrier or are they tame enough that you didn't have an issue?
They were both hand raised and handled by the employees at the store, so pretty tame, but they still need some millet to get in the carrier, and Blizzard has to go in first or Kiwi will fly back to her.

Blizzard was okay with the carrier faster than Kiwi because I brought her home in it and she had already experienced it.