• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Bird Can't Move Legs After Injury- Sad Update Post #22

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
:quaker:Hello all, I wish I had the pleasure to join this site under different circumstances.

Today, my elder Quaker parrot, Mabel, flew into the window.

She has always been a weak flier, due to having brain damage from her previous owner. She only just recently learned how to fully utilize her wings.

Anyways, today I took all of my birds out to play, when Mabel took a sudden interest in my closed window.
She plummeted towards the window, and fell to the ground with a thump. When I rushed to pick her up, I noticed she was laying on her back with her wings pulled in. I scooped her up gently and noticed her legs were limp, and she made no effort to turn right-side-up.

Upon inspection, I concluded she has full use of beak, neck, and head. When I gently pull her wings out as if to clip them, she pulls them back in like normal. I am unsure if she is able to fly, though. She has flapped her wings a few times, but she has not attempted flying.
What worries me beyond comprehension is that she cannot move her legs at all. Response is either very weak or nonexistent.

She was breathing very heavily after her injury, and I gave her an hour to relax while I called my vet. My vet is familiar with Mabel due to her special needs and her constant beak trimmings. She advised I make her comfortable and let her relax. She promised she will get us in as soon as possible in the coming week, for they are closed on weekends.

Now, Mabel is laying on my chest and she seems to have calmed down. She is playing and nibbling at my fingers, but she still seems reluctant to move at all. She seems comfortable and is doing her purring when I pet her.

Has this ever happened to any of your birds? How do I take care of a paralyzed bird? Is there anything I can do or any articles I can read?

Thank you for reading and I hope you can help.

Attached are some images of Mabel. (Don't worry about her feet, she was born like that. The first toe on each foot is knuckled under so she walks on the dorsal surface of those toes.)

IMG_5654.JPG
IMG_5657.JPG IMG_5659.JPG

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you spoke with your vet. If you don't see that she is getting better then please find another who is familiar with birds to take her to. I hope she will be OK.
Do make sure that she is warm and also make sure that she is eating and drinking. You can cover the cage on 3 sides. You may need to move her into a smaller cage and make sure she has easy access to food and water. Low perches, platforms, low food & water dishes (can put on bottom of cage).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Keep her warm, quiet and hydrated. I would be worried about a spinal injury, can your vet make an exception? Or consult an ER vet? If not, then just do the best you can till she's gets in. I'm sorry she's hurt, hope she'll be ok.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Your vet gave you the best advice. Keep her quiet and calm.
@iamwhoiam is also correct - particularly important is to keep her hydrated. Also important is to see that she gets food into her. If you have baby bird mash (or pellets that you can mash up) mix them with a fruit juice and see if she will eat it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
When did this happen, for how many hrs ago?

And yes that had happen to one of my birds. When they get a brain damage this is common.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had this happen to one of my 'tiels, Midget, (no longer here :() many years ago. He flew into a mirror. He had never attempted to fly before so I was very surprised when it happened. He could walk but was off balance and would hold his head on an angle. Depressed appetite and lethargic. First vet misdiagnosed him and sent me home with a tube of nutrical. He felt that he was just malnourished and, even though I mentioned possible concussion he didn't think so. Second vet confirmed concussion and he wound up staying at the vet for about 3 weeks. He never recovered 100% and still had some balance issues but he was active, interactive and eating & drinking again.
Sending positive thoughts that Mabel will be OK!

Can you call around to other vets in your area or maybe someone here can recommend someone if you give us an idea where you live?

Last edited:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
She really needs urgent care. Is there an emergency practice near you? Your vet can give them doses for anti inflammatories if necessary, and they could perform radiographs at the very least. This is not something that should wait until monday.

I do know of one member here who had an eclectus that was paralyzed from a fall. He regained some movement after significant physical therapy but to my knowledge never regained full use of his legs.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Keep her warm, quiet and hydrated. I would be worried about a spinal injury, can your vet make an exception? Or consult an ER vet? If not, then just do the best you can till she's gets in. I'm sorry she's hurt, hope she'll be ok.
In certain kinds of trauma head is contraindicated. In this case I would not provide supplemental heat and just keep her quiet.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I am sorry to hear this. I hope she recovers.

I will second that she should not be given additional heat (unless the vet specifically says so), if there is the possibility of head trauma. Heat can increase swelling of the brain.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
urgent care ER Vet please

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
My vet is the only vet that handles avians within HOURS of where I live. Possibly even further for ER care. Trust me, I've looked around. I can't make that trip right now, as much as I wish I could.

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
If it makes any difference, it seems that she has gained some feeling in her legs. she is able to wiggle her legs, but she still isn't able to grasp with her toes and/or stand.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I hope poor Mabel will be okay! I wish your vet could see her sooner. It's good that she seems a bit better. Sending good thoughts Mabel's way.
:sadhug2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How is Mabel doing?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hope she's OK!?

Mabel

Meeting neighbors
How is Mabel doing?
I'm not all that sure. The only thing she will eat is yoghurt, and she seems to have acquired a bit of labored breathing.
She still seems bright and alert but I'm honestly not so sure how long that will last.
If my vet cannot see me tomorrow, I will have to drive to an Avian ER :sad11:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I hope that you can see the avian vet tomorrow.
Wish you luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope you can get to your vet tomorrow. Positive thoughts for Mabel.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope the vet can help little Mabel tomorrow!