• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird cage location

iamsaleeb

Moving in
Real Name
Anthony
Hi All,

This is my first post, so hopefully I posted this in the right category, but if not, apologies!

I have very recently brought home a young hahns macaw, his name is Bear, cutest little thing.

I am currently keeping his cage inside the house, but in a week or so, I will be forced to relocate his cage outdoors. I have tried to do my research online to see if this is a bad idea or not, but I just want some assistance in making sure that he is safe outside. The outside area has a quite a large sheltered section right next to the house, so in terms of rain and bad weather, he won't be affected. Is there anyone here who keeps the bird cage outside? Do you find it sustainable without any detrimental issues?

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
@Mizzely has a Hahns named Gizmo and can probably also tag others Hahns knowledgeable people. Good luck.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What's the temperature inside your house?
What's the temperature range outside? What's the hottest it gets? What's the coldest it gets?
Bear in mind that you still need to provide shade - birds should be able to choose whether or not they're in the sun.

How secure is the cage?
What are your local predators and how will you prevent them getting to your bird?
How will you prevent mice and rats from contaminating the food and potentially attacking your bird?

How will you meet your bird's need for companionship? Generally, parrots want to be around their flock and it could be very isolating for him to be able to hear you but not see or interact with you.
Are you still going to bring your bird indoors for interaction and exercise? Parrots need to fly for their physical and mental health. If you're doing this, how will you transfer your bird from the cage to indoors without him escaping?

How long will you have to keep your bird outside? Is this a temporary measure or something more permanent?

Personally I wouldn't keep a bird outside 24/7 without a heated indoor area during the winter and a sheltered, cool area in summer.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I no longer have my Hahns as she passed away in 2014.

@tka hit most of the points I would consider. Minimum/maximum temperatures, heated and sheltered area, predator prevention, shade of course, but also yes to all of the every day business of owning a pet.

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomesign:

FiatLux

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Isabelle (she/her)
I no longer have my Hahns as she passed away in 2014.

@tka hit most of the points I would consider. Minimum/maximum temperatures, heated and sheltered area, predator prevention, shade of course, but also yes to all of the every day business of owning a pet.
Im so sorry for not figuring that out @Mizzely

iamsaleeb

Moving in
Real Name
Anthony
What's the temperature inside your house?
What's the temperature range outside? What's the hottest it gets? What's the coldest it gets?
Bear in mind that you still need to provide shade - birds should be able to choose whether or not they're in the sun.

How secure is the cage?
What are your local predators and how will you prevent them getting to your bird?
How will you prevent mice and rats from contaminating the food and potentially attacking your bird?

How will you meet your bird's need for companionship? Generally, parrots want to be around their flock and it could be very isolating for him to be able to hear you but not see or interact with you.
Are you still going to bring your bird indoors for interaction and exercise? Parrots need to fly for their physical and mental health. If you're doing this, how will you transfer your bird from the cage to indoors without him escaping?

How long will you have to keep your bird outside? Is this a temporary measure or something more permanent?

Personally I wouldn't keep a bird outside 24/7 without a heated indoor area during the winter and a sheltered, cool area in summer.

Thank you heaps for the replies guys!
I tried my best to keep him indoors, but unfortunately I have lost that battle and he will either have to go outside or I sell him (really don't want to do this.

Would building him an outdoor aviary be a suitable option for solving some of these problems? Something like this was in my mind: EasyShed | Aviary Pet House 1.5m (w) x 1.5m (d) x 1.82m (h) - Classic

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
:welcomegroup:We all love pictures

sorry to be nosy and really don’t answer if you don’t want to but what reasons can you not keep him indoors ?
just asking because people might be able to help you solve them problems

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you heaps for the replies guys!
I tried my best to keep him indoors, but unfortunately I have lost that battle and he will either have to go outside or I sell him (really don't want to do this.

Would building him an outdoor aviary be a suitable option for solving some of these problems? Something like this was in my mind: EasyShed | Aviary Pet House 1.5m (w) x 1.5m (d) x 1.82m (h) - Classic
You could build an aviary with double wire, meaning wire on both sides of the frame so a predator can’t easily grab your bird. Really think about the point tka made, all really good questions.

@AussieBird has a similar aviary to the one you posted.

iamsaleeb

Moving in
Real Name
Anthony
:welcomegroup:We all love pictures

sorry to be nosy and really don’t answer if you don’t want to but what reasons can you not keep him indoors ?
just asking because people might be able to help you solve them problems
Before I first bought him I had tried to do as much research as possible, and I asked the pet store people if I could l keep him outdoors, they said yes if it's covered. After I bought him an did further research online (these forums espeically) I got different answers. The reality is the house is not mine and the owner does not want the bird inside the house :(

Pictures of Bear

Attachments

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh my goodness he's absolutely gorgeous! What a lovely name as well. Welcome to the forum!

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I do have an aviary similar to the one linked, but I haven't been able to use it yet.
Heaps of great points have been made, so give them some thought. Keeping aviary birds is possible if you have provided a safe secure environment.
I dont know if @Shezbug 's Birdie's aviary is the same or not.
Also for a Hahns I'd personally think that one you linked is on the small side, especially if he won't get extra exercise like tka said.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Before I first bought him I had tried to do as much research as possible, and I asked the pet store people if I could l keep him outdoors, they said yes if it's covered. After I bought him an did further research online (these forums espeically) I got different answers. The reality is the house is not mine and the owner does not want the bird inside the house :(

Pictures of Bear
He’s so gorgeous

Kiwi's Dad

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
If you're thinking of building the aviary yourself here's a thread on it
Aviary

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do have an outdoor bird kept in an aviary, I am probably one of the few bird owners who is safe to not stick to all the rules that others with aviary birds should follow or at least consider, my outdoor bird is very much disabled and cannot fly nor can he even extend his wings so I am safe to let him out of his aviary without having to worry that he might catch a breeze and be blown away (like clipped and non flighted birds can do) so he can safely hang out with me and so he can wander about and get some mental stimulation and some exercise.
I am guessing you are in Aus (going by the aviary link posted), depending on where in Aus you are there is a good chance you can keep your bird outdoors all year as long as you take into account the extremes of temps we get and offer suitable protections from those.
I would think the aviary you shared is not really large enough for a young, healthy and flighted bird who will not be able to be let out in a safe area (house) for a good fly and interactions with you and I also would be very concerned about how much time you are able to spend with him if he lives outdoors- he will be very very lonely being an only bird- I spend as much time outdoors as I do indoors (and I am home all day nearly every day) so my outdoor bird gets just as much time, attention and company as my indoor birds do all year round.

iamsaleeb

Moving in
Real Name
Anthony
I do have an outdoor bird kept in an aviary, I am probably one of the few bird owners who is safe to not stick to all the rules that others with aviary birds should follow or at least consider, my outdoor bird is very much disabled and cannot fly nor can he even extend his wings so I am safe to let him out of his aviary without having to worry that he might catch a breeze and be blown away (like clipped and non flighted birds can do) so he can safely hang out with me and so he can wander about and get some mental stimulation and some exercise.
I am guessing you are in Aus (going by the aviary link posted), depending on where in Aus you are there is a good chance you can keep your bird outdoors all year as long as you take into account the extremes of temps we get and offer suitable protections from those.
I would think the aviary you shared is not really large enough for a young, healthy and flighted bird who will not be able to be let out in a safe area (house) for a good fly and interactions with you and I also would be very concerned about how much time you are able to spend with him if he lives outdoors- he will be very very lonely being an only bird- I spend as much time outdoors as I do indoors (and I am home all day nearly every day) so my outdoor bird gets just as much time, attention and company as my indoor birds do all year round.
Yep! I am in in Sydney, Australia. My area luckily doesn't have much of a stray cat problem, and we don't get any of the usual animal pests (we do get insects though, roaches, spiders, etc). As for giving him a place to fly, the house owner is ok with him coming inside daily for play and flight, just not ok with the cage/aviary positioned within the building.

As for company, I work in the office 3 days a week, but I make it a point to wake up every morning before work to spend at least an hour with him, and then also when I get back home as well. The days I don't work I will also be spending time with him.
My grandparents are also trying to spend time with him (we live together), so while I am in the office, they are usually around him (but not necessarily holding him, I am warming them up to the idea of it)

I would much rather him have a happy life than a miserable one with me, so if my post is raising big concerns (it seems like it may be haha) then I would prefer selling him to someone who would take better care of him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@iamsaleeb I am sorry if I made you feel I was against you keeping him how you want to keep him, I was just trying to cover as much info as I could about how I manage to make it work for the bird I have in an aviary.

I find it odd that your landlord wont let you cage your bird indoors but is fine with him coming in daily for a few hours to fly about- my birds make much more mess and do considerably more damage when out free in the house than when they are caged lol. Thankfully my most destructive bird is not able to land on the reverse cycle A/C and heating units or I would be in big trouble but he has chewed bench edges, carpets, curtains, window frames, wall corners and door frames and I wont ever forget the kitchen tap that got totally crushed and popped open which had to be replaced lol.

Don't be so sure and confident that you are safe from stray cats- they are a massive problem in nearly all of Aus and many people do not even know how bad till they attempt to house birds or some other small pets outdoors. Always assume the worst and prep for that- it saves you a lot in the long run. The people we bought our current home from told me they got rid of their birds as they were heart broken every morning to come out and find numerous birds half pulled through the wire of the cages and aviaries.
I mainly have to watch out for and protect against cats (not even strays, they are all cats of selfish uneducated uncaring owners who let them roam free grrr), snakes, mice (thankfully no rats in this area), ants, spiders, hawks and other birds of prey- these are my main problems when it comes to living things but mozzies and other stinging flying insects are a problem at times too.

Aviaries here can be really awesome as our weather is pretty workable most of the time, if all the right things are taken into account and provided then they are a wonderful place for our birds to live.

iamsaleeb

Moving in
Real Name
Anthony
@iamsaleeb I am sorry if I made you feel I was against you keeping him how you want to keep him, I was just trying to cover as much info as I could about how I manage to make it work for the bird I have in an aviary.

I find it odd that your landlord wont let you cage your bird indoors but is fine with him coming in daily for a few hours to fly about- my birds make much more mess and do considerably more damage when out free in the house than when they are caged lol. Thankfully my most destructive bird is not able to land on the reverse cycle A/C and heating units or I would be in big trouble but he has chewed bench edges, carpets, curtains, window frames, wall corners and door frames and I wont ever forget the kitchen tap that got totally crushed and popped open which had to be replaced lol.

Don't be so sure and confident that you are safe from stray cats- they are a massive problem in nearly all of Aus and many people do not even know how bad till they attempt to house birds or some other small pets outdoors. Always assume the worst and prep for that- it saves you a lot in the long run. The people we bought our current home from told me they got rid of their birds as they were heart broken every morning to come out and find numerous birds half pulled through the wire of the cages and aviaries.
I mainly have to watch out for and protect against cats (not even strays, they are all cats of selfish uneducated uncaring owners who let them roam free grrr), snakes, mice (thankfully no rats in this area), ants, spiders, hawks and other birds of prey- these are my main problems when it comes to living things but mozzies and other stinging flying insects are a problem at times too.

Aviaries here can be really awesome as our weather is pretty workable most of the time, if all the right things are taken into account and provided then they are a wonderful place for our birds to live.
Don't be sorry! You have been a huge help and this is the sort of assistance I needed. The landlord is my grandparents haha, they own the house, and my grandma is the one against it being indoors, unfortunately I haven't been able to convince her to leave his cage indoors.

I will have to consider all these points before making a decision. I am worried about things like stray cats and bees that may be lurking around. If worst comes to worst and I can't make it work, I will try and find him a better owner, but I'm hoping I can make it work well outdoors