• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird cage hacks, advice needed

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Hey,

So, I have a pretty big bird cage for My House Sparrow (Kiwi) but the cage is heavy and the plastic wheels kinda suck.

Every morning, I roll his cage beside my Dove's cage so they can both see out through the bedroom doorway.

They like to be able to see us while we are working, but because they both have huge cages they cant stay on the same wall because there is just not enough room to enter the room.

So, every morning, I roll Kiwi's cage in front of the doorway and every evening I roll it back.

The problem is, I live in an apartment that is not very sound proof. The cage is heavy and the wheels can be loud loud on the floor.

The only carpet I have is too small for the full size of tje room, is under the messiest bird and covers the part of the floor where the wood flooring has large spaces between the panels where seed always gets stuck in.

I am wondering if anyone has ever tried or would know if it is possible to swap out these wheel for quieter ones?

I am curious if rollerblade wheels would work, but I dont know a thing about them.

Anyone ever tried rollerblade wheels?

Looking for some thoughts, suggestions to help with reducing the amount of sound the wheels make.

Photo of cage I bought

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
bump

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They look like ordinary cheap swivel castors that pop into a socket. Your local hardware store or Home Depot will have a selection of castor type wheels to choose from that should fit right into that socket. Take an old wheel with you for reference. Simply getting a larger diameter wheel will make a difference. They'll have better grade wheels with rubber and lower grade wheels.

There's always a way to attach new wheels if they don't just fit. :D